db8

Well Known Member
Am most likely going to install a Matco parking brake. Probably won't be used a whole bunch, but will come in handy when needed (I guess?). Any thoughts on this and any ideas on where the best place to mount it? Pictures are always neat to look at. Thanks. Dave

Mickey,

Are you gonig to use a control cable to actuate the valve or just move the lever by hand. I have mine mounted the same way but can not find a good way of running a cable.

2 issues on how / where to fit:
1. Brake (pipe) lines
2. Control cable routing

The orientation of Matco unit makes a neat solution for "both" the above not easy. We went for:
1. Matco unit mounted 2"-3" above the double hole fitting where the brake pipes hit the bulkhead. Mounted with small reinforcment plate..
2. Extra pipes come from aft of fitting, then into 'U' sections up then forward into the Matco unit.
3. Brake lines now come down out of Matco and then "out" towards the towers.
4. This means you pull the lever "up" for Brake "On". Easy to run a cable from where you choose onto the large bar running across, and use an Adel Clamp there. And a spring down to the fitting area "pull" the handle to "release"...

The reverse solution I have seen "looks" neater, especially for Brake Pipes, but leaves you to build "levers" to operate the valve i.e. reverse the direction the lever needs to be pulled. Also, depending on how you do it, the Matco Unit sticks "down" from the bulkhead, reducing the space for legs / more likely to get kicked.

Sorry - am currently 5000miles from the RV, so no pics... If you want one, let me know and I'll do one when I get back...

HTH ;)

PS Looking at Mickey's, ours is some 3"-4" higher. It is reversed so the vertical pipes come down (his are "up"), and the horizontal pipes point "aft" (his are "forward"). The double reverse means I think Mickey's also is "pull lever up for on". Only issue with Mickey's (I am sure he has checked / is happy) is that the unit is sticking down from the bulkhead, and maybe vulnerable, whereas ours is up higher and hidden away from legs / head when you are crawling around in there trying to maintain things!

PPS This picture, stolen from a post of Bill Repucci's elsewhere, is somewhat similar to our installation... http://www.repucci.com/bill/fuselage/parking%20brake%20-%20on.jpg

Last edited:
I have mine mounted in the same location and orientation as Mickey's. A cable is unnecessary. I can easily reach under the instrument panel and pull down on the lever. I may screw a knob on the lever, but that is unnecessary as well. The only difference between mickey's installation and mine is that I used 45 deg fittings to keep the lines out of the way of stuff I installed on the bulkhead. I wanted to use 90 deg fittings but they inerfered with each other as they are screwed into the valve.

Jerry

A cable is unnecessary. I can easily reach under the instrument panel and pull down on the lever. I may screw a knob on the lever, but that is unnecessary as well
Just to confirm, are you saying the valve lever is just "free" to move (vibration) or get knocked? i.e. you have no "spring" action holding it off (by default), and some system to apply the brake against the spring and then "lock it"? If so, it seems to go against every Park Brake installation I have met...

Maybe you do have some sort of safety system I have not picked up on? But unintentional / unanticipated (and possibly asymmetric) brake application on landing, takeoff (inc formation) does not bear thinking about... Certainly in the UK, I suspect it would not be permitted anyway by the inpector(s).

Parking brake

Andy Hill said:
Just to confirm, are you saying the valve lever is just "free" to move (vibration) or get knocked? ...
This is one of the concerns I have with my system right now. I don't have fluid in yet, so I don't know if it will add any resistance. I will probably add some kind of locking system.

Matco

Thanks for all of your replies guys. Just to let you know there is another good related topic "Parking Brake Valve Mount" on the general discussion that answers some of these questions/thoughts.

Andy Hill said:
But unintentional / unanticipated (and possibly asymmetric) brake application on landing, takeoff (inc formation) does not bear thinking about... Certainly in the UK, I suspect it would not be permitted anyway by the inpector(s).

Andy, the Matco PV-1 as I understand it is just a valve that is either open or closed. It can't apply brakes, it is used by applying the brakes (pressure) while it is in the open position and then is closed to hold the brakes (pressure) when you need it. If this valve vibrated closed while in flight you wouldn't be able to apply brakes on roll-out without opening the valve but that's the extent of it. With a control cable you could simply check that it is in the "Off" (or open) position before landing. Or just check the lever but I would prefer it to be in sight at least.

Don't know about U.K inspectors...

John... As you say, in fact with the Matco design an unintended application would require pressure applied first, before the valve closed. Else, just loss of braking... so not as drastic as I said.

I still reckon a T Handle / Spring arrangement as more "conventional" than the CT740, and either preferable to just the lever left alone...

RatMan said:
the Matco PV-1 as I understand it is just a valve that is either open or closed. It can't apply brakes, it is used by applying the brakes (pressure) while it is in the open position and then is closed to hold the brakes (pressure) when you need it. If this valve vibrated closed while in flight you wouldn't be able to apply brakes on roll-out without opening the valve but that's the extent of it.
From the Matco web site :
When the lever is moved to the closed position, fluid can flow to the brake but not return. The lever may be positioned prior to pressure being appiled or when pressure is applied.
So, if the parking brake was applied before touchdown, the result could easily be an accident.

Last edited:
Kevin Horton said:
So, if the parking brake was applied before touchdown, the result could easily be an accident.
Which is exactly why the T-handle for my parking brake is up by the AS and when it is locked, it partially covers the gauge.

When landing I tend to look out the left side of the plane and my AS is in the upper right corner of my panel. If I miss noticing that the brake is set, I shouldn't be flying.

This is also the reason why my "fuel pump on" light is at the top center of the panel. I doubt I will miss it being either on or off when I line to take off or land.

Just my $.02 in panel design.