Jeff Vaughan

Well Known Member
Both AN fittings that connect to the Matco Parking brake from the pedals leak. Last week i removed the fittings , cleaned andused a Permatx pipe thread sealent on them. No Joy. Still leak. The other two fittings that lead to the brakes from the Matco do not leak. Any suggestions to seal the threads would be greatly ap[preciated.

I would first check to see that the fittings (816's or 822's) were made with the proper taper.

I have seen some that were made with a straight pipe thread.
Good luck, post what you find.

MATCO Parking Brake Leak, STILL

Well it still leaks after 3 trys to fix. Checked the AN fittings and they are tapered. I tried two different types of sealant with no luck. I am going to call Matco tomorrow to see if they can help. Anyone else experience this?:(

How many turns?

How many turns (threads) do you get when you install the fittings?

Paul

And crank them in way further than you feel comfortable with. I did this dance and found that I had to put the fittings in with a vice and very big wrench. Not normal assembly practice, but...

I have tightened until I can not turn any more. May have to remove and tighten in a vise. I will give that a try

Are parking brakes required?

Is there an FAR requirement for parking brakes? I have used the parking brake once in the ten years I have owned my Cherokee. I left the master switch on (switched it off and then back on) and ran the battery flat. Set the brake so i could be in and out of the plane during a jump start.

Larry

Is there an FAR requirement for parking brakes? I have used the parking brake once in the ten years I have owned my Cherokee. I left the master switch on (switched it off and then back on) and ran the battery flat. Set the brake so i could be in and out of the plane during a jump start.

Definitely not required. I have one - my old ramp location was on a ramp ;).

I though that too....

My -6 has been flying since '93 without one.

...until I tried a Self Service fueling with my Tiger in the Mojave desert with a 25+ kt. wind blowing....:)

The castoring nose wheel does not help in this situation.... and if the planes moving, it's hard to jump out quickly with the wheel chocks... that you have stored in the back of the luggage area anyway...:)

Mel ... how do you handle this situation if you are on your own?

I installed a parking brake valve. Yes it was some extra work. Yes, it leaked around the fittings the first time I filled up the brake fluid. I got that resolved with more torque and Tite Seal. The few times that I really needed it in the last year, I was very glad I had it. Other than those instances, it just rides around with the airplane :). I don't use it as a part of normal procedure.

Call Matco, I forget but it is bottoming out problem. It was a simple fix once I talked to them. Also be careful you may damage the o rings.

Larry

Matco checked out my brake and told me that all the threads were fine and that I should have been using a sealant #567 I believe that was the number.
They reinstalled my fittings with the recommended sealant and pressure tested to 1000 psi. It passed their test.

I received the brake and installed it in my aircraft and I still have a leak. Only one fitting leaks this time not two. Will contact them and advise what next.