Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Has anyone had issues putting the washer and nut on the tub valve stem?

I have one wheel together, but the other one doesn't have enough thread for the nut to bite.

My very recent experience - -

I just put on replacement tires and tubes. I had to work to get that nut to catch also, but finally did. If I recall, you have to try to center the stem as much as possible to get the nut to catch.

John Bender

I just put on replacement tires and tubes. I had to work to get that nut to catch also, but finally did. If I recall, you have to try to center the stem as much as possible to get the nut to catch.

John Bender

John I did - looks like a bad design or wrong tube. Even tried a thinner washer.

I'll call Vans tomorrow. I was hoping to get it on the mains, down for the night.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Has anyone had issues putting the washer and nut on the tub valve stem?

I have one wheel together, but the other one doesn't have enough thread for the nut to bite.

Funny you would ask, David. I just struggled with that task over the weekend. I even reduced the washer by half of its thickness but couldn't get the nut to catch. After researching a bit more I found that other builders with various RVs had these issues too and that they left the washer out. This is what I did as well. See details in my latest blog entry.

Been there!

Look at the bottom of page 16 in the Matco technical service bulletin that comes with the wheels. It says that with some tube brands (I have been told by Matco folks that Michelin in one of them) you need to replace the special washer with AN960-516s. All I can say is that it worked in my case.

Look at the bottom of page 16 in the Matco technical service bulletin that comes with the wheels. It says that with some tube brands (I have been told by Matco folks that Michelin in one of them) you need to replace the special washer with AN960-516s. All I can say is that it worked in my case.

I talked to Matco yesterday and was going to use a AN960-516, but modifiing the washer with the step. After a little touch up with the scotchbrite wheel I was able to get the original one to work and that one fits in the valve stem hole instead of just a washer.

Tube washers and nuts.

I too had this problem. I e-mailed Van's and in their reply they said that thy leave them off. That's what I did.