woodsideraff

Well Known Member
I have followed Matco's instructions as well as that information given from searching "Matco" in this forum.

After tightening the axle nut to where the seal no longer rotates with the tire, I end up with about 50 in-lb of drag. Matco's handbook states that the resultant drag should be 8 to 10 in-lb.

Has anyone else had this result? Does the drag diminish by a factor of 10 with use?

All I can think of is that I packed the bearings with #5 grease instead of the #22 recommended by Matco.

Before I re-pack the bearings, I would like to know what results others are getting.

Thanks and wishing everyone a Happy New Year.

Rafael

I have followed Matco's instructions as well as that information given from searching "Matco" in this forum.

After tightening the axle nut to where the seal no longer rotates with the tire, I end up with about 50 in-lb of drag. Matco's handbook states that the resultant drag should be 8 to 10 in-lb.

Has anyone else had this result? Does the drag diminish by a factor of 10 with use?

All I can think of is that I packed the bearings with #5 grease instead of the #22 recommended by Matco.

Before I re-pack the bearings, I would like to know what results others are getting.

Thanks and wishing everyone a Happy New Year.

Rafael

Rafael

This may sound simplistic, but are you sure you have genuine Matco bearings?
The last time I replaced mine, the company I purchased the bearings from assured me the bearings they sent me were genuine Matco bearings. I had the same problem you describe. After going round and round I finally contacted Matco directly, it turned out the bearings were not genuine Matco bearings. Big difference in quality between the junk I had and the genuine Matco bearing.
They will loosen up with some time though.

Rafael

This may sound simplistic, but are you sure you have genuine Matco bearings?
The last time I replaced mine, the company I purchased the bearings from assured me the bearings they sent me were genuine Matco bearings. I had the same problem you describe. After going round and round I finally contacted Matco directly, it turned out the bearings were not genuine Matco bearings. Big difference in quality between the junk I had and the genuine Matco bearing.
They will loosen up with some time though.
Well, I got them from Vans as part of the finishing kit. I trust they are the genuine article.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=407276&postcount=6
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=331000&postcount=20
Matco's website says that it should take between 18-26 inch pounds of torque to turn the wheel.
Joe Gores
Joe,

Thanks for the links; I had not seen these. The 18-26 in-lb is about 1/2 what I'm getting, but at least in the same order of magnitude.

I can't see holding up the project for this. I think I'll continue with the wheel pants fiberglass, etc. and monitor the drag later in the game.

Cheers,

Rafael

Fork Spread

Did you have to force the wheel and bearing assembly into the Fork? A common problem is for the fork width to be a little less than perfect. In theory you could have almost no torque on the axle nut and still have too much lateral load on the bearings. I had to spread my fork open a bit to get all the numbers to come out right.