rvator4twa

Well Known Member
Patron
Before OSH I installed a Matco axle on my nosegear and asjusted it so the bearings didn't turn. I purchased a new nose tire and tube at OSH and removed the nosewheel to install it. I am having trouble turning the adjustable part on the axle to remove it from inside the tire so I can take the tire off the rim. I have let the air out and unbolted the wheel halves, but I am trying to unscrew the adjustable part without damaging it.If I explained it so that anyone remembers how they did it, I would be graeful.

Thanks,

Ron Burnett

Last edited:
Matco axle disassembly

Did you remember to remove the set screw??

I did remove it. My problem is how to I turn the part as there is nothing to grip? I put the screw slightly in another hole and tried tapping it with the handle of a hammer.

I have been able to remove mine easily by hand once the set screw has been removed. With the screw just treaded slightly, you should be able to get a good grip.
These are set with hardly any force on them so the bearing can turn freely. Maybe a couple of light tap or a bit of WD40 will lose it or try tighting it a bit just in case some thing is stock in between the indentation and the screw hole but it should just unscrew without any issues.

Strap Wrench

Is there enough room in there for a strap wrench? I have a low profile plastic one with rubber that's great for grabbing and twisting tubes.

strap wrench and set screw removal

Will try a strap wrench as I have the wheel off at home and if that doesn't work I will reinstall the wheel and twist it off hopefully on the plane with the screw removed. Trying to do some at home where it is cooler. Thanks to all.

Matco Axle

How do you like the Matco Axle? Does it let the wheel spin any easier? Do you think it is a better solution than the bearing mod from AntiSplat?

thanks

Before OSH I installed a Matco axle on my nosegear and asjusted it so the bearings didn't turn. I purchased a new nose tire and tube at OSH and removed the nosewheel to install it. I am having trouble turning the adjustable part on the axle to remove it from inside the tire so I can take the tire off the rim. I have let the air out and unbolted the wheel halves, but I am trying to unscrew the adjustable part without damaging it.If I explained it so that anyone remembers how they did it, I would be graeful.

Thanks,

Ron Burnett

Matco axle

I liked the axle but the nose wheel did not spin overly freely to my way of thinking. Had only about 40 hours and had a piston failure on my Subaru, so in the slow process of changing to Lycoming.

... Try this! Remove the screw, take a good quality grade eight allen bolt and screw it in almost to the bottom of the threads. Now you can get to it and exert the necessary force to unscrew the adjustment collar....:D