VNS

Apparently the correct sequence is to dimple first then final / match drill.
Why is it the instructions (and others) have you match drill then disassemble for dimpling?:confused:

You want to match drill first, then deburr, then dimple. If you dimpled before drilling, then rebutting properly would be quite difficult if not impossible. Yes, this means that you put the pieces together, drill, then take the pieces apart, deburr, dimple, then put the pieces back together. Kinda redundant but it works.

match drill

Patrick,

Definitely cleco, match drill, disassemble, debur , dimple, reassemble, cleco, rivet. Takes time but the only way to go for accurate assembly.

Patrick;

Definitely cleco, match drill, disassemble, debur , dimple, acid etch, alodine, prime, reassemble, cleco, rivet. Takes time but the only way to go for accurate assembly. Definitely :)

Definitely cleco, match drill, disassemble, debur , dimple,soap water rinse, acid etch,rinse, alodine,rinse, prime, reassemble, cleco, rivet,drink beer. Takes time but the only way to go for accurate assembly

All in favour of Calvin25's method, especially the last item. Thankyou all will proceed as advised.
Have a read "kit Airplane Construction" page 336 -337

Pilot Hole

Have a read "kit Airplane Construction" page 336 -337
It states;
When dimpling, drill the appropriate pilot hole for the dimple die, dimple, and then drill to final size.
Well, the pilot hole for your dimple dies is #40, so they will not fit in ahole you haven't match drilled before. It a very useful reminder of missed holes when you dimple your skins. When dimpling skins, if the dimple die is somewhat reluctant to enter a hole, don't push hard :eek:, back off, locate the matching hole on the other part, ream both holes with #40 reamer and THEN continue with dimpling.
You'll also find that there is no need to drill to final size AFTER dimpling, however I always DEBURR before dimpling.
My 0.02 €

Last edited:
I called Van's about the Kitplane Construction order and their guidance was to definitely drill/deburr first, then dimple.