mandm1516

Well Known Member
I've decided to install rear rudder pedals and am trying to figure out how to match drill the idler bracket to the gear support tower. As you can see from the picture (the left bracket is laying flat next to the 2 bolts--the notch on the right side of the bracket will be up when installed). The outboard (top in the picture) hole is already drilled. I can't figure out how to match drill the other hole (bottom bolt in the picture) because there's not enough room to get a drill & bit through the other bolt hole coming from fore to aft (right to left in the pic). Any tips?

idlerbracketjk2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks!

I'm not sure if its appropriate, I am yet to start a build, but....

An old trick I was taught to mark holes in hard to get-at corners is to use a leather punch. Similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Science-Surplus-LEATHER-PUNCH/dp/B0007MX288

Select the size of hole punch that just protrudes through the hole that you wish to mark. Clamp/fix workpiece you want to mark in place and use the punch through the pilot hole with enough pressure to score the workpiece. Remove the workpiece and it should be almost perfectly marked for drilling.

Hole Duplicator

I used a hole duplicator; you can get strap duplicators from Avery, Brown, Cleaveland, etc.

They're sold in sets or as individual tools; set of 5 is about $40 from Brown or you can make your own from scrap aluminum and a couple of rivets.

The "blind hole spotter" pin style would also work well. Brown has these on sale right now.

Mike

small hole duplicator plus centerpunch

I used a #30 hole duplicator, with a collar on it so it would center in the hole. Then, I used a #30 drill as a centerpunch to mark the hole center. Then I took it out and drilled it on the bench.

After all that, I decided that the rear seat "pedals" were so lousy I'm not putting them in. I'm still scratching my head with various ideas for how to connect a nicer set of rear pedals into the rudder cable system. All the likely places to run a pushrod through the F-804 assembly are already used by electrical wires in bushings.