mike.sierra

I'm New Here
Constant Speed Prop - $6,000
Governer - $1200
Cables - $150

Extra thrust from C/S prop saving your a** when you mess up - PRICELESS!!

Just something else to think about when deciding on a prop for your plane. FWIW

Flame me for messing up if you must but consider this-

If I had a fixed pitch prop NO WAY I WOULD HAVE MADE IT.

OK, It's a long story. First visit to a short grass strip with a drop on each end of the runway. Runway is marked with white 5 gallon buckets on the level part (classy). A road forces you to turn off course at the bottom to park. After a long lunch, you return to your plane and taxi back to the edge of the road. You can only see the first pair of buckets from the bottom. Looks like you are lined up with the strip from bottom of hill. LOOKS MUCH worse when you top the hill at 50 knots 30 degrees off from the runway.

mike.sierra said:
OK, It's a long story. First visit to a short grass strip with a drop on each end of the runway. Runway is marked with white 5 gallon buckets on the level part (classy). A road forces you to turn off course at the bottom to park. After a long lunch, you return to your plane and taxi back to the edge of the road. You can only see the first pair of buckets from the bottom. Looks like you are lined up with the strip from bottom of hill. LOOKS MUCH worse when you top the hill at 50 knots 30 degrees off from the runway.
I thought it was a long story. Did something happen? Did you run out of runway? Tell us more.

Just for the record, I'm planning on saving the dough and not flying into some airports. Heck, the nose gear will fold up anyway.:D . I hear.

Rest of the story

Bob Collins said:
I thought it was a long story. Did something happen? Did you run out of runway? Tell us more..
Yes, it was Stanton's BBQ in North Carolina.
When we got to the top of the hill, the runway was on our 10 or 11 o'clock. No way to turn that much at 50 knots.
Ahead was 75 more feet of grass, then a 2 foot drop to a road. I rotated just before the road at about 60, and skimmed over the road into another small field surrounded on three sides by tall trees. Wasn't sure I could clear the trees, so I turned back toward the road. (not a U turn, maybe 90 degrees or less)
Was at about 10 feet AGL, but picking up speed at the start of the turn. I was worried about dragging a wingtip and I was worried about power lines, but out of options.
There were no power lines, so everything was fine after that.

The amazing part is the performance of the plane. Here are the specs.
RV-6 at near 1600#
Temp near 90 degrees
Takeoff run about 600' UPHILL in soft grass and sandy soil.
And it worked!

mike.sierra said:
The amazing part is the performance of the plane. Here are the specs.
RV-6 at near 1600#
Temp near 90 degrees
Takeoff run about 600' UPHILL in soft grass and sandy soil.
And it worked!

Living in a mountainous area as I do, with density altitudes easily getting into the 6000 to 9000 range; and having flown both the C/S and fixed versions of RV's.....

It's no contest! C/S without doubt! It's all the difference in the world for climb rate, and controlling the landing phase with precision.

L.Adamson