dcarfly

Has anyone installed the individual hydraulic reservoirs directly on the brake master cylinders? And if so, how is it working out so far? Pro's/Con's?

I did. Not RV8 though...Working great for almost 700 hours.

brakecylinders.jpg

The only challenge is checking fluid level.

Many have on the -8. I have and works fine. I installed 1/8 fittings on top so when it comes time to exchange the fluid I can connect a line to it and fill from the brake calipers without making a mess.

They work fine

I have independent reservoirs on my RV-8. They have worked perfectly for over 1200 hours. I remove the front baggage compartment floor to check or add to the fluid levels. It is a little bit inconvenient, but doesn't need to be done very often. I use hex-head 832 machine screws to hold down both front and rear baggage compartment floors. They can be installed/removed easily with a small socket attached to a flex drive and an electric screwdriver.

Dan Miller
RV-8, IO-360M1, WW 200RV prop

I used the stock reservoir & firewall location. Then I 'discovered' the direct mount reservoirs.:( I would have gone with them just to save on the plumbing, etc.
I agree with Dan on the baggage floor. I use allen head capscrews instead of hex head, but the idea is the same. Those philips head screws wear out too easily. I use allen head capscrews on a lot of the inner panels that require frequent removal.

thanks for the input guys! I ordered a pair of reservoirs from Aircraft spruce. And my plane is already built and the baggage compartment floor is installed with screws and I have had it out a couple times fixing leaks and doing some rerouting.

Wasn't there an issue with rudder/pedal travel (master cylinders hitting the firewall) if the pedals are set forward? As I am quite tall, this would be the only concern I would have.

Wasn't there an issue with rudder/pedal travel (master cylinders hitting the firewall) if the pedals are set forward? As I am quite tall, this would be the only concern I would have.

Yes, I have ground adjustable rudder pedals and can not set them full forward.

No big deal for me, but could be a concern for taller Pilots.

Yes, I have ground adjustable rudder pedals and can not set them full forward.
No big deal for me, but could be a concern for taller Pilots.

You can relocate the reservoir to the corner of the front baggage compartment, run a hard line to a splitter, then run SS braided teflon lines down to the master cylinders.

Great idea Dan! I have the reservoirs on order and will post pictures and update as I get it done. Might be a little while though before I get to it.

What's the minimum length of hose?

You can relocate the reservoir to the corner of the front baggage compartment, run a hard line to a splitter, then run SS braided teflon lines down to the master cylinders.

It seems to me that this would be a lot easier to service than having reservoirs on the cylinders. My Cessna 180 has the reservoirs on the cylinders and checking them is not the most fun part of airplane ownership.

What do you suppose is the minimum flexible hose length that would suffice?

Dave
RV-3B and no, I'm not at the cockpit yet. Finishing the wing jig now. Just wondering what to put in the FWF kit that I'm making a list for, since Van's doesn't have one for the RV-3B.