glider4

Well Known Member
I'm working on an 8A QB fuselage. I'm putting together the rudder pedal and brake assembly. The reference I'm looking at is Vans Drawing #34. That Drawing shows a Cleveland Master Cylinder with a 1/4" diameter shaft in the main illustration and a Matco Master Cylinder in Section A-A. I have the Matco which has a 3/8" diameter shaft.
The bolt call out in Detail D to attach the cylinder shaft to the rudder pedal is an AN3-10. There is NO way a AN3-10 is long enough. Just measuring the bolt in the full scale Detail D shows it to be a AN3-13 bolt. And that is with the smaller Cleveland 1/4" cylinder shaft. I'm guessing the correct bolt should be an AN3-16 for use with the wider Matco 3/8" cylinder shaft.
My second problem is that the AN3 bolts will not fit through the pre-drilled hole on the Matco Cylinder shaft. The threaded parts go through but not the unthreaded shaft of an AN3-13 or longer bolt. Do you drill out the hole in the Matco shaft? Doing that makes me very nervous.
What have you done here?

Albert Thomas
N880AT (reserved)
RV-8A QB (fuselage)

Albert,

I would use a reamer to ream out the hole to the right diameter for the AN3 bolt. Use whatever length bolt is appropriate. Van's bolt and rivet length callouts are sometimes wrong.