pierre smith

Well Known Member
We started our 0-360 a couple of days ago but it sure ran ragged. It ran fine for a few minutes but on the second startup it got more and more ragged. We found a bad plug (brand new Autolite) and replaced it but it still ran ragged and wouldn't go over 1500 RPM. If I advanced the throttle at that RPM, it died, as though it was going really lean. It barely idled and I suspected trash blocking the jets so we drained the bowl and a couple of small pieces of rubber (fuel hose?) came out. This is a freshly overhauled carb by Precision in Miami but I took the float bowl off and looked at what passages I could see and blew air through them but it still runs ragged and won't go over 1500RPM or so. Any advice? We also tried enrichening the mixture with the mixture screw but to no avail.
Pierre RV6A...almost airborne..:)

H-m-m-m-m-m

When I was going through my problems I bought the manual from Precision Airmotive to enable installation of the "rich" mod kit. It went well but I bought it before I found that my real problem was timing (ref. June Sport Aviation). I don't know what kind of ignition system you have but don't overlook that part of the system. If you have a LASAR system they work fine but they require a special timing box and the instructions have some subtle uses of specific terms clearly marked on the box that are also very close to general timing terms. In that case if you go off on intuition and general term usage the timing will not be correct. On the other hand, the carb could be set too lean, etc. There are MANY variations on that carburetor and I had a real time finding my specific one and the settings for it. I talked to the folks At Precision Airmotive in Washington at the time but I don't remember the details anymore. One of the problems I had was the preservative in the carb. - be sure that that is drained out if you have any in there.

Bob Axsom

Carb problem solved

Thanks Bob, but I spoke with Gary at Precision while looking in the disassembled carb bowl and he told me to take the mixture screw out and I did. There it was....rubber. I got it out and shone a light from the venturi through the three small holes and could see into the mixture screw cavity.......voila!! Smooth as silk now!! :)
Pierre