Catbird

Well Known Member
I've notice in a few photos provided by fellow builders that they're marking bolt heads and with a colored marker or paint of some kind after assembly. This appears to be a Quality Control technique to identify those threaded fasteners that have been torqued. I've seen this done on machinery and it sounds like a great idea. As we all know, there are many occasions in the construction of an RV-12 where threaded fasteners are installed temporarily with the intent to torque them later during final assembly of a system or component. I'm in the early stages of the fuselage assembly and am already beginning to lose track of which bolts have been torqued and which one have not.

So on to my question(s): Is my assumption correct regarding the purpose for marking the bolt heads? If not, what is the purpose? Is there a standard marker or paint applicator available that is intended for this specific purpose?

Inquiring minds want to know, and besides, it looks way kewl.

It actually has a dual purpose. 1/ It shows that the fastener has been torqued and 2/ The paint line normally should go across the bolt/nut and or framework to show if the fastener has moved since being torqued.

Thanks for the information, Mel. I'll get on it and bring all of my non-pivoting threaded fasteners up to this visual quality control standard.