flytoday

Well Known Member
After using Foreflight and BadElf "chip" for > 18 months, problems occured/repeated in the last 3 days. The normal process is start Foreflight, Map Mode, and insert BadElf into iPad, this now occasionally fails. Instead of BadElf LED blinking, it stays off, BadElf never figures out position and velocity, and Foreflight doesn't know/track the flight position. Tried stop/restart of Foreflight, cycle iPad power, remove/reinsert BadElf, Location Services turn off/then on, etc., and it takes some attempts of power cycles before it all works again.

While in failed state I also tried Google Map and it didn't have position data either, and didn't activate the BadElf LED, which normally blinks first, and then LED goes solid when it has determined position and velocity.

One other Foreflight "funny", while flying and starting Foreflight map mode, I get a purple and black checkerboard pattern, instead of the Sectional Chart. I play with zoom in/out, and eventually this clears up. Never saw this checkerboard before the last couple of weeks. I'd really rather see the Sectional.

I have upgraded Foreflight recently, and I wonder if that produced these anomalies.

HAVE ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS HAPPENED TO YOU?

Thx,

Carl

I ran into a similar problem with ForeFlight and Bad Elf...got to practice some pilotage during that flight! ;)

Back on the ground, I couldn't find anything on the ForeFlight site, but I did find this on the Bad Elf site: http://bad-elf.com/troubleshooting/ Item 3 describes some location services issues that have come up on iOS 6. I tried the procedure they recommend, and I was able to get a fix again on ForeFlight.

Hope this does the trick for you.

- Doug