alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
For those who have a Van's map box in their panel...

What, if any, instructions does Van's provide about the location of the hole through the subpanel required to allow the 12" depth of the box? Are there any restrictions on where that (pretty large) hole can be? Thanks.

Supported with Angle

Hi Steve,

I don't recall any restrictions, the hole is supported with angle, but I doubt that creates much addtional strength.

Mine seems to be fine after 100 some hours. The box takes up panel space, but it holds charts, handheld radio, handheld GPS, flashlights, and copilot sunglasses. I like it.

Map Box Kit for sale

I have one I did not end up using. I have not got around to putting all of the extra parts and pieces I have up for sale yet, but if you need one. I dont even remember what I paid for it from Vans but will let it go for less obviously.

Steve, do you have the map box kit? If not, the instructions show a suggested location for both the slider and the tip-up. I don't recall which you are building. Locate the box on the front panel and then locate the opening on the sub panel. Make the cut out and add angles around the cut out.

I tried posting pictures but Image Shack isn't working. Can email direct if you like.

Jekyll
7A Slider

No, I don't have the kit yet, Jekyll. I'm wanting to see if it will fit where I'd like it to fit before I buy it. By "suggested location," do you think Van's is suggesting that there is a structural (strength) issue with where it is placed or is it merely that Van's is giving us their aesthetic opinion? If you have anything readily available to email me I'd definitely appreciate it, but definitely don't go out of your way. I can be emailed at alpinelakespilot2000 (at) yahoo.com.

Jon-I might be interested in your kit, though I fear it will cost more to ship than it is worth. It only costs $35 new. Maybe since you're in Battleground I could do a pick-up sometime.

Thanks to everyone else for their quick help as well. I'm headed out for the weekend now, so I'll pick up on this thread on Monday. Have a nice Memorial Day.

Not a structural issue, fit issue

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
For those who have a Van's map box in their panel...

What, if any, instructions does Van's provide about the location of the hole through the subpanel required to allow the 12" depth of the box? Are there any restrictions on where that (pretty large) hole can be? Thanks.
Bottom line no restrictions for aircraft strength reasons, except for fit and interference. I recall the instructions have a suggest location. Yes you go thru the sub panel and the kit supplies stiffeners for that cut out.

Last edited:
The slider and tip-up have differing structure twixt the panel and sub panel therefore, a differing location.

Jekyll

The thing is that if you don't follow the instructions it won't fit !

It is a typical Van's 17/94ths from part FXYZ instruction and yes we screwed up !

We arranged our panel using Experimental Air - great tool, super service. Problem was we dropped our map box somewhere on the right.

When the panel came back from the cutters, we realised that the hole didn't match where the instructions said - did we read them before ..........Nah !

So, we had a hole and a map box kit.

We eventually shortened the box so it didn't go through the substructure as it wasn't going anywhere near it after we specced it wrongly !

In short - follow the instructions and you will place it corrctly, if you don't - in the wise words of the Pastor from Blazing Saddles

"Son - You're on your own"

You can deviate from the suggested location but you may need to do a bit of engineering to make it work. I used an Affordable Panel XL panel which extends about 2 inches lower than the Van's panel. I placed the map box at the bottom of the panel where I wanted it. As a result, the sub panel cut out went completely through the bottom of the sub panel and I had to modify the structure to close it in and return the rigidity. here's a shot of the sub panel from front and back to better "splain" the issue.

Jekyll

Alternative

Don't have a picture handy, but I decided against the map box and put a drawer under the panel on the passenger side. It fills the gap between the mixture bracket and air vent. At 38 hours, it has worked great. I used four pieces of J-channel (two on drawer, two mounted solid) as sliders. It does have a top to keep stuff inside in turbulence. It comes out with four screws for under-panel access. Made it from leftovers. It is about 1 3/4" deep, more than chart long and wide. Holds charts, a Colt 1911 and takes no panel space! It did take quite a few hours to engineer/fabricate.

Bob Kelly