IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I have the Vans map box kit and am working on my subpanel structure. I thought now might be a good time to mount the map box.

It appears to me that the map box rivets to both the panel and subpanel. This effectively negates the ability to remove the panel from the plane.

I think the map box / subpanel attach could be done with screws, so maybe the panel could be removable with the map box attached. Is this a worthwhile idea?

Also, what is the final sequence? Do most people rivet the map box to the panel, then paint the assembly, and then install the assembly into the plane?
I ask because I see that the map box door doesn't cover all the panel attachment rivets.

Thanks for any help,

Dave-
There's no need to rivet or screw the map box to the subpanel. Also, you can use screws if you want to attach the map box to the instrument panel. My panel is designed to pull out and tilt slightly (for major work) so I didn't attach it to the subpanel at all (it just slides into the reinforced hole in the subpanel) and, just for good measure, I used screws to attach it to the instrument panel. The only two screws that need be visible are on the lower side corners of the map box. The other screws are in the top flang of the map box and get hidden by the closed door. By using screws, I could paint the panel sans map box. Alternatively, just tape the inside of the box off while painting your panel.
Hope this helps.

Check your drawings...

I have the Vans map box kit and am working on my subpanel structure. I thought now might be a good time to mount the map box.

It appears to me that the map box rivets to both the panel and subpanel. This effectively negates the ability to remove the panel from the plane.

I think the map box / subpanel attach could be done with screws, so maybe the panel could be removable with the map box attached. Is this a worthwhile idea?

Also, what is the final sequence? Do most people rivet the map box to the panel, then paint the assembly, and then install the assembly into the plane?
I ask because I see that the map box door doesn't cover all the panel attachment rivets.

Thanks for any help,

I believe that the sub-panel angles are there for guidance and load carrying, but are not actually riveted to the map box.

This allows the panel to be pulled towards the pilot with the map box attached.

I used screws to attach it to the instrument panel. The only two screws that need be visible are on the lower side corners of the map box. The other screws are in the top flang of the map box and get hidden by the closed door. By using screws, I could paint the panel sans map box.
Hi Jim -thanks for the idea about the screws. Did you use 4 screws, 2 in the top flange and 2 in the bottom flange? It looks to me like any screws or rivets in the bottom or side flanges will be visible.

I painted the inside of the box first, then riveted it to the panel. After riveting a few other mounting brackets to the panel, I masked off the inside of the box and painted the panel. If you want to paint the inside of your box, in hindsight I would do it before riveting the two halves together...