bullojm1

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I am installing an AeroTronics fiberglass map box and am having a hard time deciding on whether it is better to put the door hinge on the side or on the bottom. I can see the side having a slight disadvantage as it could swing around while open in flight (although I could squeeze the hinge eyelets to cause some friction). However, putting the hinge on the bottom means the door can just plop down when opened. Just looking for opinions on people that have it either way.

Thanks a bunch.

bottom for me

Mike, I put my hinge on the bottom. Its a rather heavy item used for cabinets but works well. It has good spring tension to hold closed, and it only swings 90 degrees so it is horizontal when open. This way it does not flop around and hit the instrument panel or switches etc. I'll take a picture next time I at the hangar.

Bevan
RV7A wiring

Hey Bevan-

Thanks for the reply. Is that hinge something you picked up at a Home Depot or equivalent?

bottom for me

Mike, I put my hinge on the bottom. Its a rather heavy item used for cabinets but works well. It has good spring tension to hold closed, and it only swings 90 degrees so it is horizontal when open. This way it does not flop around and hit the instrument panel or switches etc. I'll take a picture next time I at the hangar.

Bevan
RV7A wiring

Yes

Rona. Canadian equivalent to home depot.

Again, A lttle heavy for the what it does but I can change it in the future if I have to put the plane on a diet.

Bevan

map door hinge

....sorry guys, just have to pipe up here...I have only 14 hours, and already HATE the glove box. Everything you want finds it's way to the back end, and you can't access anything in flight....okay, you shouldn't do that, but let's be real!
eg. I find on my walk-around that I want my flashlight, well, it's impossible to reach in from the passenger leading edge side and grope around to find what you want.
I'd recommend trying to make a 'drawer' that slides out, giving access to everything right to the back!...with a little lip of course to keep it from ending up in the passenger's lap! :)

I put mine on the bottom. I attached a piece of velcro to it and that's where I put my portable music player. I ran the music input wires into the back of the mapbox so they were out of the way when not in use.

Rigging158.jpg
Rigging159.jpg