Does Vans publish the manufacture date by kit serial number?

Glenn Wilkinson

If you mean the manufacture date that you declare to the FAA when you register the aircraft then you are the manufacturer so the date is when you finish and make it ready for registration. If you just want to know when the kits were shipped then I bet that Van's does have these records - a least for the past few (5-10) years. Whether they want to tell you or not is another matter.

Each of the kits I have received has had a variety of dates of manufacture. Some of the parts, like fiberglass, have an inspection tag with a date.
If you need a date, then use the invoice date.

I was thinking in terms of the fuse since I've been told that is the only part of the airframe that is serial numbered.

Just curious...

Glenn Wilkinson

As far as I know, none of the RV kits are "serialized" (Except for the RV-12 when built as E-LSA). You are assigned a serial number of "plans", but you are not obligated to use that S/N.
In the beginning, the fuselage center section and wing spars were serialized because they were "match drilled", but that is no longer a factor, with the possible exception of the -3, -4 and -6.
You may assign any serial number to your aircraft as long as you have not used the same serial number on another aircraft.
The "official" date of manufacture of your airplane will be the date the airworthiness certificate is issued.

Last edited:
To add to Mel's post. When you buy a new kit (-7, -8, -9, or -10), you are giving your builder / serial number when you order your tail kit.