Josef

hi everyone,
just wanted to know whether there is anyone out there who built his RV-8 / 8A with manual flaps ? Just started on my RV-8A kit and would prefer to install manual flaps. Electrically driven flaps might be nice to have but are just another potential source for a defect. Would be grateful to get your ideas on that topic.

cheers,

Josef

Why not hand prop it, too?

When I built my RV-8 I tried to get rid of as many failure prone systems as I could. I omitted magnetos, carburetor, mechanical gyros, gascolator and vacuum pump. I replaced them with electronic ignitons, fuel injection, AHRS and EFIS. I essentially ditched 20th century systems and moved into the 21st century.
If you ditch the well-proven electric flaps, I fear that you are taking a step back in time, not to mention the hit you will take when it comes time to sell.

Just my $0.02.

I fully agree with ronschreck.

I flew around 2500 hours teaching in Cessnas without a single electric flap issue (count thousands of touch and go's...:eek:).

If and when the electric flap motor dies, landing without flaps with this type of aircraft should not be a too big issue... Just a bit more approach speed and landing distance after touchdown...

Anyway, flapless landings should be practiced once in a while...

My 2 cents

Cool!

I would love manual flaps! That is a great idea! You can take them on or off as slow/fast as you need to. If you do end up doing that please post some pics, would love to see it!
-David

Manual Flaps

I have been thinking about manual flaps as well. I have not put a lot of thought into it yet as I am just starting my fuse. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult.

As for you other guys, I'll bet you have one of those new fangled lawn mowers with a gasoline engine huh. What is the world coming to?;)

As for you other guys, I'll bet you have one of those new fangled lawn mowers with a gasoline engine huh. What is the world coming to?;)

LOL :D

No, in fact I have one of the Gardena push models... Works very well in fact !!!

Older Cessna models with manual flaps are highly regarded. :)
Vans RV-4 came that way too.
If you converted an RV-8, you still need to operate the flaps with a pair of pusrods, so I don't think you would re-design the flap bellcrank.
The motor actuator pushes down on the bellcrank assembly.
Any flap handle you would desire would most likely be pulled up to deploy flaps.
An arm pointing off the back of the flap handle pivot might be linked to the bellcrank actuator arm, but the space required for the connecting link could create a real headache.
Maybe you should look at an RV-4 and see if there are any similarities.
I stayed with the electric flaps. I already made some mods to my RV-8. They take a long time to complete and are of dubious value.
I'd reccomend you "play thru" and make your mods after you start flying.
Somehow they just won't seem so important.
When you become a repeat offender, and can build faster, consider mods.

hi Scotts,

thanks for the advise. Makes sense to me...

Does anyone have experience with installing a second server for the flaps just to have a backup system in case one server fails ?

Josef

cessna failed twice!

A c-172 and a c-182 both let me down.

If I had my druthers, I would have installed manual flaps. Couldn't figure out an easy, clean way to do it.

Still awaiting the not-so-dreaded brush-cleaning cycle.

I like the flaps in the C-180 skywagon too!

I fully agree with ronschreck.

I flew around 2500 hours teaching in Cessnas without a single electric flap issue (count thousands of touch and go's...:eek:).

If and when the electric flap motor dies, landing without flaps with this type of aircraft should not be a too big issue... Just a bit more approach speed and landing distance after touchdown...

Anyway, flapless landings should be practiced once in a while...

My 2 cents

A c-172 and a c-182 both let me down.

Steve, you must be the exception that confirms the rule...!!! ;)

Manual flaps do have their advantages, less weight, less chance of failure, less maintenance, variable speed of deployement/retraction...etc.

On the 8 though, it does seem to be one big headache to modify.

Is there someone that has done it already???

While I've liked and use manual flaps, I have to say that the -8 with electric is way nicer in actual use. Rigged properly, you have what amounts to unlimited travel so if I want to bump them up slowely, a degree at a time even, its actually more precise then I could do with old style notched flaps. Just hold the toggle or tap it a fraction at a time.

Not saying it wouldn't be an interesting project. But in this case, the design seems to work amazingly well and has proven itself very reliable. Not to mention the amount of time you will be adding to the build to convert to manual. Finally, if all fails, and you have no power to the flaps...well, its an RV. While it lands longer than a 1940s taildragger, its not THAT much longer with no flaps.

Now. Having said all that, I'd kill for manual TRIM. lol. Electric works fine, but still seems to fast or touchy at times.