AndyRV7

Well Known Member
My RV-7 trim tab has a small amount of play in it, which I notice during preflight. I was hoping to learn what the adjustment method is to tighten up the tab. Thanks. Andy

Trim Tab Play

As Bob says, they all have some slack in the cable that leads to wiggle in the trim tab. With that said, I posted a few years ago that the local FSDO inspector would not sign me off due to the approx. 1/8" wiggle in the trim tab. He was certain that it would lead to flutter. A month later, he returned with apparently a different perspective and signed the Cert. of Airworthy. It was certainly a low point after a 7 yr build- and there isn't an easy fix to make it go away.

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa.

Play could be due to a slightly elongated hole in tab lever. I know I measured the hole on my RV. The playless solution could be a tiny press fit bronze bushing insert.

The play is mostly the result of the u-turn bend that is in the fwd end of the cable.... because there is some clearance between the center cable and the outer housing, there is room for the cable to slop back and forth within the housing.
It is normal and has been proven in service and during a GVT flutter evaluation to not be a problem. The system should still be properly maintained to keep the play as small as possible (avoid play at the trim tab connection, etc.)

OK, that makes me feel better. My instructor pointed it out when I bought the plane last year and it has been n my mind all along (while getting no worse). I would have described it as 1/8" as well. I am going to my condition inspection this month so I will give it a good look.

Thanks! Andy