Dave12

Well Known Member
Admitting that this is thinking down the road, but I am wondering if the manual trim cable/system that is used in the other models could be adapted to the -12? My thought on this is inspired by some "down the road" thinking of when Van's no longer supports the now obsolete control panel of the 1st generation avionics suites. We must face facts, this is going to happen at some point and the biggest problem I see is the trim system. Other avionics packages are going to find their way into the -12 panels as well as old school buss bars, breakers and switches. But what about the trim? I helped a buddy build a -6 about 20+ years ago and just can't remember how the old trim cable system worked. I do remember that I really liked the way it worked. What say the smart guys? Thanks in advance.

Thousands of RV's are already flying with the exact same trim servo connected to a stand alone switch on the panel. Some of them also have a stand alone speed control installed (mandatory for the RV-12 in my opinion).

Why would you want to go to the considerable effort and expense of engineering and installing a manual system when the electrical trim works just fine?

Why would you want to go to the considerable effort and expense of engineering and installing a manual system when the electrical trim works just fine?

Since a "six" was mentioned........I've just loved the four way "electric" hatswitch trim in my 6. All servo operated, including a servo in the aileron. No bias springs, all done from the stick switch, and no slop.

L.Adamson

Thousands of RV's are already flying with the exact same trim servo connected to a stand alone switch on the panel. Some of them also have a stand alone speed control installed (mandatory for the RV-12 in my opinion).

Good information Scott, you answered my question.

I did not say that I wanted to change the system. I was only wondering if it could be changed if needed. I was unaware that the current system's technology could be utilized in a stand alone application. Scott the answer man enlightened me.