jmitchell

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Working on my standard build RV8's manual trim cable routing.

Can anyone point me to the plan or OP DWG that depicts the proper location of the 5/8" hole that accommodates the passage of the manual trim cable through the aft side of the left hand gear tower (just in front and slightly below the throttle quadrant). If not a plan sheet number just a dimension to locate.

Thanks kindly for your help...

Don't think there is one

All I can tell you is what I did. First, I chose NOT to mount the trim on the instrument side panel as Vans shows.

If you look high up under the canopy rail ledge, you'll see tooling holes. I expanded these and routed my cable through them all the way back to the horizontal stab. It looked like a natural routing to me.

Now, as a caveat, the cable exits through one of the large holes in the gear tower and I haven't exactly figured out how I'm going to mount it. I'm deferring that until such time as I can sit in the cockpit and check the best ergonomic fit.

Trim changes usually occur after a change in power setting, so close to the throttle would be a good choice, much like Vans drawing depict. Of course routing and limitations on the trim cable bending radius influence this also. Tight bends introduce friction.

After much thought on how best to route it, I picked one knowing that with a little work down the road, I can always change it.

Don