G

Geoff

It seems as if the angle of my WD-415 (trim cable retainer) nut isn't quite right. When installed, the trim cable has to bend slightly (in a short distance) between the nut and the hole in the trim tab spar. This exerts a downward force on the access plate. The nut is in the correct location according to the drawing, but the access plate with the WD-415 installed doesn't slip easily into place in the elevator skin.

Once the screws are installed, there is enough downward force exerted by the cable that I can see the access plate bow outward between the three screws at the leading edge of the plate. With the screws removed, the "natural" position of the access plate is about an inch below the elevator skin.

Has any one else encountered this issue?

Thanks.
-Geoff
RV-8

RatMan said:
Not yet, but when I called Vans and asked about it, they told me the angle on the new WD-415 is the same as the old one.

They also told me that they'd never heard of this issue. There is one message here, from several years ago, where someone reported something similar. But that thread doesn't have any responses.

-Geoff

Geoff,
I have the new plate and the angle is off a bit.
I clamped the plate in a vice and gently tapped
the nut with a mallet until it lined up better. It
did not take much. The weld must be a good one
because the plate did all the bending. You can
screw one of your 7/16 spar bolts into the nut
and use it to help your alignment when you drill
the plate to the access cover.

Hopes this helps,
Pat