ebackscheider

Hi all, looking to add electric flaps. I did not build though. How hard is this conversion? I will be buying the full kit with new weldment.

Thanks All!

Hi all, looking to add electric flaps. I did not build though. How hard is this conversion? I will be buying the full kit with new weldment.

Thanks All!

With the full kit, you should be able to follow the same install for a 7. Look up some 7 builders logs.

This is not a complicated task..... And you can sell your manual weldment and all manual parts here on =VAF=.

Here are the notes from my manual to electric conversion on the RV-6:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/fuse7.html#flaps

flaps-1.jpg

As far as difficulty goes, it is a straight-forward conversion for an RV builder. A non-builder, however, probably will not have the riveting tools and skills needed for the conversion.

Last edited:
I believe Van offered a retrofit kit back when the electric flaps became available. There are some people out there that would be interested in your old manual weldment and parts.
I personally prefer the manual setup which I fitted to my-7, lighter and simpler. Also allows easier access to baggage compartment in flight.

Last edited:
The same reason Sam did. My passengers are wider than the seat. It will just make life easier. Yes, the current ones work perfectly.

The best upgrade i ever did to my -6 was electric flaps. I used the the manual flap weldment and welded the supplied bracket on after cutting it off extra length per the plans. I no longer catch a pax under the chin with an elbow anymore.

Sam, just to verify, that flap bar is moved from in front of that bulkhead to behind when you did the conversion? I see it in different places in your pictures.