N941WR

Legacy Member
Manual Trim Chrome Caps

I found a guy who can laser etch the chrome caps you put on the end of the manual trim knob.

I doubt there is enough room to etch the UP and DN arrow arrows as well as a full logo but what do you think if I just put ?RV? or ?VANS? in the Center?

As for cost, they will be a couple of bucks, definitely less than $10. (I?m just trying to cover my cost, not pay for my -9.)

Let me know if you are interested. The prototypes should be available in two weeks +/-.

Last edited:
put a marker on it

Don't need an up or down arrow, just put a marker on it that I can point forward in the center to indicate neutral position. I like the chrome idea. I'll buy one. jack

Yes he can etch plastic but I haven't found plastic caps. Then again, I haven't looked either.

As for the single arrow, it won't work because you can turn the knob more than 360 deg. Thus the UP and DN markings.

Any other questions?

BTW, I'm thinking of sending my panel off to the guy and have him laser etch all of the required markings. Not sure of the cost but it will be up there, I'm sure. Just his set up time will be more than a an hour or two.

N941WR said:
As for the single arrow, it won't work because you can turn the knob more than 360 deg. Thus the UP and DN markings.

Any other questions?

True, it will rotate more than 360 degrees, but in practice you don't need much adjustment to get a lot of trim (travel). I don't think I have "ever" had to trim a full 360 deg. rotation. It just takes a little. I'll buy one either way, but I think the center mark would work. Just for kicks, I'll fly mine with a white mark at neutral, check my theory and get back to you. jack

Last edited:
Build9A said:
I don't think I have "ever" had to trim a full 360 deg. rotation.

Perhaps the 9 is different, but on the 6, I'd guess you go 3-4 full turns from cruise to landing. I'll measure this next time out.

I'm interested in the snap plug if/when you do this. The up/down arrows would be nice for placard requirements. The little plastic trim ring breaks off too easily.

Jeff Point

Cleaveland tools used to offer a plastic ring that went around the center button and stuck to the face of the manual trim knob. It showed a left and right arrow curving around about 1/3 with "UP" on the CCW side and "DOWN" on the CW side.
I had this on my RV6 and it worked and looked great.
They don't offer them anymore, but it was a good idea.