jcaplins

Well Known Member
This may seem like a silly question, but...

Are manual flaps an option on the -7?
And if not, why not?

Why I ask...
I would prefer manual flaps.
I wasn't paying too much attention when i ordered the kit, but since i didn't specifically ask for it, i assumed it would come with manual flaps. When i received the kit, there was the bag for the electric flaps. Looked back at the order form and there is no selection for either.

Thanks,

flaps

Mine are manual on my 6A, but I don't find much need for flaps. I find them more of a pain than a help for most of my flying. I usually fly 15-20 hours a month. just my 2 cents worth.
S

Manual flaps

This may seem like a silly question, but...

Are manual flaps an option on the -7?
And if not, why not?

Why I ask...
I would prefer manual flaps.
I wasn't paying too much attention when i ordered the kit, but since i didn't specifically ask for it, i assumed it would come with manual flaps. When i received the kit, there was the bag for the electric flaps. Looked back at the order form and there is no selection for either.

Thanks,

Check Chad's website. Pretty sure he installed manual flaps.
http://www.chadandbrittne.com/full_construction_log.htm

Mine are manual on my 6A, but I don't find much need for flaps. I find them more of a pain than a help for most of my flying. I usually fly 15-20 hours a month. just my 2 cents worth.
S

Go in to a 1500' strip and you'll quickly realize just how useful and important they are!...if you don't run off the far end. Why do you think Van put them on? Next time you fly, try landing AND stopping, in under 800'....we do it all the time, with full flaps.

Best,

Last edited:
Agree with Pierre, flaps are a good thing. Great for short fields.

Slipping is fine for loosing alt on no flap winged aircraft, although does not shorten your landing like flaps will.

Manual flaps are great. I have electric flaps and have had two flap failures. Manual flaps are simple and always work, although take up room in the cockpit and take some muscle to operate. I would be ok with manual flaps. In 20 years I will want electric flaps.

Best benefit on manual flaps, to me, is ability to retract flaps instantly upon touchdown in windy conditions. Safer when gusty in remote airstrips.

I want a manual flap setup like Chads too. Motor is just something else to break, plus sometimes I want full flaps NOW not a few seconds from now, or vice versa.

If anyone cracks the code on this, I'll sell you a completed/built flap motor housing assembly for an RV-7 (or trade it to you for your manual 6/6A setup).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Looks as if it would be fairly simple to go manual instead of electric.

I'm still curious as to why it's not a standard option considering the many reports of failed flap motors (although not my reason for not wanting electric).
Not enough demand? perhaps a call to Vans is the only sure way to know.

Thanks,

Thanks for the replies. Looks as if it would be fairly simple to go manual instead of electric.

I'm still curious as to why it's not a standard option considering the many reports of failed flap motors (although not my reason for not wanting electric).
Not enough demand? perhaps a call to Vans is the only sure way to know.

Thanks,

Because it s.u.c.k.s.............placing your hand between the seats to pull the handle, especially with passengers. It's not like a forward mounted Johnson bar on a Piper Cherokee. I liked my setup, which consisted of the flap switch right above the throttle. Flaps, trim (a hat switch if desired) could all be controlled with my hand remaining on the throttle.

Yes, there is that "quick" flap advantage of the pull bar, but overall, I've much preferred the electric version by an enormous margin. And.... a few others will disagree.

Besides, the failed flap motor scenario is over rated. It's not a standard phenomenon.

Being able to raise them instantly is one of the great benefits, in my book. Lowering them only seems to take effort when you try to apply too much, too soon. Applied in stages as you slow down, no effort required.

Because it s.u.c.k.s.............placing your hand between the seats to pull the handle, especially with passengers. It's not like a forward mounted Johnson bar on a Piper Cherokee. I liked my setup, which consisted of the flap switch right above the throttle. Flaps, trim (a hat switch if desired) could all be controlled with my hand remaining on the throttle.

Yes, there is that "quick" flap advantage of the pull bar, but overall, I've much preferred the electric version by an enormous margin. And.... a few others will disagree.

Besides, the failed flap motor scenario is over rated. It's not a standard phenomenon.

I'm thinking more in terms of cost and PITA factor... no flap landing is not a big deal.

I did my transition training in an rv6a with manual flaps. Mine has electric flaps and i'm very glad that I have them. Recommend that you fly in a side-by-side RV with manual flaps before deciding that's what you want.

I suspect you could get used to it, but the geometry makes the manual flaps in a side-by-side RV awkward to use. Not at all like a flap handle on a Cub or Cessna.

my $0.02

To answer the first question, Van’s dropped the manual flap option when they came out with the -9 and -7.
When I started building my -9 I contacted Van’s about installing them in my plane and they said the reason they were not offered in the -9 was that due to the size and design of the -9’s flaps, they felt they would be very difficult to deploy.

It pains me to say that I actually agree with Larry on something, but in the narrow confines of the side-by-side RV’s manual flaps are a pain. (However, I wouldn't go so far as to say they s.u.c.k.)

When I did my transition training in an RV-6 we were on short final with full flaps when all of a sudden we went from full flaps to 2/3rds flaps because the button was not fully seated.

While there have been some issues with the flap motor, either the motor vendor has stopped over lubricating them or everyone who has had a problem is using the search function to find the solution.

The deployment and retraction speed of the flaps has not been an issue. Besides, the RV’s are so overpowered, that you can do a go-around with full flaps, at gross, on a hot day without any issue. Remember, this is not your Father’s Cessna.

Last edited:
On the other hand......

There are at least a thousand of us who have manual flaps and wouldn't have it any other way.

There are almost 2500 RV-6 and -6As flying and I'll bet that at least 1/2 of them have manual flaps.

If you like electric flaps, that's great. Install them. But don't tell me that manual flaps "suck"!
Maybe for you, but not for everybody.

Chad's site location for manual flaps..... http://www.chadandbrittne.com/Janurary 2007/Jan 4-07.htm

My 6A has manual flaps. The problems that I found were.....

1. bad design of the push button.
2. Johnson bar too long.
3. Flap index anchor.
4. Elbow space between seats. minor issue. I like to reach between the seats for stuff behind the passenger seat.
5. Passengers that far exceed the dimensions of the seat.

All of the above issues (except 5) were resolved at almost no expense, no lost air time and little effort in the shop.

The things I like are....

1. I know the flap setting all of the time.
2. Instant on, off.
3. Position flaps on the ground without master on.
4. Feel what the flap system is doing. Anything catching?
5. No flap motor box between seats taking up valuable cockpit space.
6. No flap motor issues.
7. No switch location issues. And related wiring.

Build the airplane that you want.

It pains me to say that I actually agree with Larry on something, but in the narrow confines of the side-by-side RV?s manual flaps are a pain. (However, I wouldn't go so far as to say they s.u.c.k.)

That's okay Bill. I agree that bigger engines are better..........and if my plane ever gets re-incarnated, it will be a tail dragger..

When approximately half of the RV6 aircrafts are configured with manual flaps and the other appx half are electric - it makes sense that this issue is one that will be divided.

I've got a complete manual setup from an RV-6 that I was planning on retrofitting into the -7. My dad bought the -7 kit from me and is probably going to go electric.

Interest? PM me. It's in good shape, but not perfect.