Which is most intuitive with respect to manual cowl flap operations?

• Pull Knob out: cowl flaps open

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • Pull Knob out: cowl flaps close

Votes: 21 47.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RV8R999

Well Known Member
Which do you believe is most intuitive:

Pull knob back - cowl flaps open

Pull knob back - Cowl flaps closed

Everything forward

Normal logic should be everything forward for takeoff and full power. So obviously you would want the cowl flap open at full power.

Peter

Well...

On the other hand... if you pull the knob out to open, the knob and cable will be sticking out like a sore thumb reminding you to close the cowl flaps. :)

Go around

On the other hand... if you pull the knob out to open, the knob and cable will be sticking out like a sore thumb reminding you to close the cowl flaps. :)

Unexpected go-around, busy circuit, high workload, would have a lever in and cowl flaps closed cooking the engine be such a good idea now?

I think keeping things standard where ever possible is a good idea. It's much safer to forget to close the cowl flaps and run the engine cool than to cook it.

Peter

cowl flaps

The twin cessnas have quite a bit of pressure holding them open so pull to close woerks better with the simple t handle push pull control used by Cessna

cowl flaps

I am interested in maybe putting cowl flaps on my -8 if I have cooling problems. Live in hot and muggy Louisiana and thought about that. Pics or ideas anyone?

bird

Cowl flaps

The Bonanzas pull the knob out to open the cowl flaps. Knob in to close. This way the knob isn't sticking out for the cruise portion of the flight, which is most of the time.

There isn't really any consistency. You pull to open your Carb Heat and Cabin Heat, but you push to open your Throttle and Mixture.

Personally, I would want anything i'm not using to be hidden, or as out of the way as possible. If I don't need cabin heat, or carb heat, or cowl flaps, the knobs controlling them should be against the panel.

Just my $0.02. Maybe look in some military manuals for some of the fighters that had cowl flaps and see what their convention was, if there was one?

Well, Van's designs the alt air as pull, should I re-design this? The 210's I've flown are push down (Up Down LEVER) to open. I was taught in my primary lessons to scan, scan, scan your instruments... so, IMHO push closed should not be an issue. :) YMMV