N788RV

I have a Dynon D120 EMS and not sure how to mount the manifold pressure sensor. It didn't come with much guidance. Should it be mounted on the firewall or should the line pass through the firewall and mounted inside. Dynon says it doesn't matter but I saw some other posts that talked about crud and moisture causing problems. It would be great to see a picture of a few installations.

I brought my line through the firewall (using the standard Van's MAP kit) since I needed to have the it available on the inside for my electronic ignition as well. Then mounted the sensor on the cool side of the firewall with two bolts.

Getting the line through the firewall was not hard; if there are stories about problems with the sensor on the hot side, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

What's in Van's kit?

What's in the Van's kit? I have a similar issue for my EI MP transducer - it specifies that it is to be mounted on the cool side of the FW.

Auto parts...

N788RV said:
I have a Dynon D120 EMS and not sure how to mount the manifold pressure sensor. It didn't come with much guidance. Should it be mounted on the firewall or should the line pass through the firewall and mounted inside. Dynon says it doesn't matter but I saw some other posts that talked about crud and moisture causing problems. It would be great to see a picture of a few installations.

Aren't they all automotive parts and quite adapted to being mounted in an engine compartment?

You would need to keep crud and moisture out of the pressure (vacuum) line.... but this is true whichever side of the firewall it is on...

gil in Tucson

Manifold Sensor

Dynon told me it was an automotive part. I have the vans kit as well which is braided tubing to the firewall then plastic tubing from the firewall to the sensor. I'm guessing the plastic tubing might be why it is on the cold side. This is my first build that's why I'm looking for ideas. I would probably prefer it on the hot side so I can run the wires with the rest of the engine monitor wires. I just don't know how to connect from the engine to the manifold sensor any other way. I'm open for ideas and pics.

Manifold Sensor

Okay, I'm tired of pondering this one and ready to do something. My manifold sensor has a port for 1/4" inside diameter tubing. I already have wires through the firewall for my engine monitor and I've been told by dynon that it would be okay to mount the sensor on the hot side. I do have the Manifold pressure kit from vans that penetrates the firewall but it comes with a 1/8" inside diameter adapter and I would have to adapt it as well so I don't plan to use it. If I mount it on the firewall what kind of tubing do I need to use from the engine to the sensor. Can I just use bare rubber vacum tubing thats good to say +250F with clamps on each end or should it be the steel braided type (the expensive stuff).