N458RV

I'm New Here
My serial number is 71458 and it was a quick build. I decided to open up the covers and check the nuts holding the tubes even though everything was prosealed. To my surprise, they were basically finger tight. Shame on me for not checking them in the first place but thought it had already been done.
Thank goodness I checked. So, for quick build folks, if you didn't check the tightness or don't remember, perhaps a check is in store and comply with the Van's suggested fix.
The plane is going to the airport this Sunday, hopefully to soon fly.
Fred.............

How do I open the inspection plate on the tanks?

Building RV9A. Quickbuild wings still in stand. I glued the fuel tank inspection plates in good and solid with ProSeal (- no gasket). Didn't want them to leak!!! :rolleyes:

Now I understand I am supposed to remove them things and safety wire the inside nut in place.

How do I get the ProSeal to come off so I can get the cover plate off??

Duane Wilson

Getting Cover Plates off after Prosealing.

On my quick build wings I had put proseal on the rib, cork gasket, both sides and the cover. To get them of, I took two putty knives and started at one end (end nearest the leading edge) and worked under the gasket and rib. It come off reasonably easily, but does take patience. Since you didn't use the gasket, the same approach should work just fine. Just be careful not to scratch the rib while working the putty knives. Hope that helps.
Fred...........

dwilson said:
Building RV9A. Quickbuild wings still in stand. I glued the fuel tank inspection plates in good and solid with ProSeal (- no gasket). Didn't want them to leak!!! :rolleyes:............. get the ProSeal to come off so I can get the cover plate off??Duane Wilson
Duane,

Over and over again, I have read of one builder after another using proseal to glue the fuel tank covers (and gaskets) on. When I built the tanks, I certainly didn't anticipate having to reopen them again but simply followed the lead demonstrated in an Orndorff construction video and used medium weight Titeseal as an alternative to proseal.

http://tinyurl.com/nxvz8

The material has proven to be quite efficient at doing its job and the unexpected removal of the covers and gaskets will be a messy job for sure but will a whole lot easier to remove and replace...that's for sure!

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

I've used pro-seal on the covers on several RVs and find that it's not difficult to remove them. Just start a sharp putty knife under the edge and tap it around with a small hammer. It will slice right through the pro-seal nicely and not damage anything.
Mel...DAR

Thanks for the reassurance Mel. Maybe I'll take a "stab" at it this weekend. Now how bout a photo of the biplane project?