David-aviator

Well Known Member
Had an hour of instruction in a RV-6 today with CFI Frank Baldwin just to test the water on whether or not this old goat can learn a new trick or two. I have more time in my dentist's chair than flying a tail dragger and its been on my mind lately whether my brain has got enough elasticity to soak up landing with a tail wheel.

First off, Frank is one heck of an instructor, especially with a tail wheels. We talked a lot, flew the usual slow flight stuff, steep turns, stalls and then headed for his own green strip adjacent a bean field on a farm near Silex, MO. He showed me how it is done and then I did it and bounced a bit and then he showed me again and by the end of the session I was wearing a tail wheel grin.

The transition is all mental - the wheels are up front and not behind and that necessitates just a tad of forward pressure as the aircraft touches down. What a great feeling when you finally get it right! Books have been written on the subject so there really isn't more to say about it. Once you do it, it all makes sense.

Anyway, the BFR was about due so it is done, but for sure I will fly a few more times with Frank before launching the 8. I been flying a long time and know there is a potential to screw up, especially doing something new, so I will accept all the help there is.

It's like the old dog that finally learned how to jump through a hoop - got to try a few more times to make sure it can be done. :)

If you can handle the -6, then the -8 will be a piece of cake. I find the -8 to be the easiest of the Vans taildraggers to land with its big thick rectangular steel main gear that doesn't have nearly the tendency to bounce as much. It's more forgiving than the -6 which is the touchiest of the bunch to land, IMHO. The -8 loves to wheel land solo... with a pax in the back seat, you can 3-point it too, but I definitely prefer to wheel land it even with weight in the back.

Last edited:
You're going to love it!

For the first little while it was interesting by times, but I haven't done anything to scare myself too bad so far. I'm getting more comfortable with each flight and the fun factor goes up with that. After I landed yesterday my Wife said "OK it's been 1/2 an hour, you should get that silly grin off your face before people think there's something wrong with you." :D

Last edited:
For the first little while it was interesting by times, but I haven't done anything to scare myself too bad so far. I'm getting more comfortable with each flight and the fun factor goes up with that. After I landed yesterday my Wife said "OK it's been 1/2 an hour, you should get that silly grin off your face before people think there's something wrong with you." :D

+1. My experience exactly!

If you can handle the -6, then the -8 will be a piece of cake. I find the -8 to be the easiest of the Vans taildraggers to land with its big thick rectangular steel main gear that doesn't have nearly the tendency to bounce as much. It's more forgiving than the -6 which is the touchiest of the bunch to land, IMHO. The -8 loves to wheel land solo... with a pax in the back seat, you can 3-point it too, but I definitely prefer to wheel land it even with weight in the back.

I concur. I soloed Doug Reeves in my 8 after he was kind enough to lend me his 6 for a week so I could fly back and forth between 52F and Aero Country airports, while the craftsmen at Hotel Whiskey Aviation installed aux tanks in the Doll.

After a few patterns I told Doug to make the next one full stop. As I was climbing out, he said" "Are you sure?" I said I was, because I flew your 6 all week, and the 8 is a piece of cake by comparison.

He took off and made three perfect landings, and several (shall we say) low approaches on the field before he surrendered my 8 back to me. Doug didn't have any trouble landing the Doll and I doubt you will have any problems in your 8.

Thanks for the feed back, guys.

I look forward very much to experiencing the RV-8, and am recharged in the effort to get it certified and ready to fly. :)