tkatc

Well Known Member
I've come to the point of my build where I have to make the major decisions about engine and prop. I find myself overwhelmed and unarmed. There are several companies to choose from and most of the websites are not very informative. At least not for the amateur builder. There are sooo many options to choose from. How do you guys make these decisions? Where do you even start? Upgraded rollers? Cold air sump? What is the difference between B1B and an M1S? Do you go with ECI components or opt for Superior? And why?

I do have some of the basic choices narrowed down but still need help. The engine will be new. The engine will be fuel injected so some systems require a return line plumbed in. I currently fly with a purge valve but is that really needed? I would love to have a lot of HP but I don't feel the need to spend $5000 plus extra for 20 hp. I want to ensure the setup can handle mogas... I worry the EPA will win out and rid us of 100LL. This means I want to avoid higher compression pistons right? I will be going with dual PMags. Why doesn't Lycoming offer options on the experimental engine line? I will also go constant speed although I don't like the extra cost I am currently spoiled and don't want to go back.

So next you have to choose a manufacturer. Where is the complete list of engine builders? Where is the engine buying guide? There are some great reviews from people on this site but what does that really mean? Does it mean personal support during setup and break in? Does it mean they have a great warranty and will take care of you? How would they do that exactly? All these companies are FAR from me meaning the engine will have to be shipped to them for service. Doesn't sound all that feasible to me. So does that great warranty really hold value?

After you get all those decisions made....you start all over with prop choice. Ugh! Venting over....for now! :confused:

Grab a piece of paper and first list what you want. At the top of the list put your budget. I think most of us went through this same torture.

If all out horsepower isn't a must(or doesn't fit in the budget) Start with a 180hp 360 build up. This means parallel valves. Stock compression, but up to 9:1 will be okay with mogas. Fuel injection is your choice, happy campers with most systems. I like my AFP. Cold sump adds a bit of power and also complexity.

Send your wish list to several of the big shops.....Aerosport, Barrett, Eagle engines, etc. You'll see the prices are close, but each has something to offer different than the others.

Finally, for ease of build you could just select a M1B Lyco from Vans and sell the mags and install Pmags.

Same choice for the prop...What do you want and what do you want to spend.

Try Kitplanes

So next you have to choose a manufacturer. Where is the complete list of engine builders? Where is the engine buying guide? :

Kitplanes magazine publish such a guide each year. I think it was in March or April this year. Also, the website has a searchable website.

TK,

I thinking the same as others. IO360/180HP.

I'm not sure you need the extra weight and HP.

Working it backwards a little - you said you NEED a C/S prop. Just go with the Hartzell Blended Airfoil. If you go composite you will spend double :eek:

Of course, I nice composite 3 blade would look cool :cool:

When I bought my last engine in 07 I added the flowed head option. I can lean it till it stops and never feel any roughness. I like it. Another thing to think about. :) this is a lycoming thunderbolt, old school, carbed, mags.
gas7.jpg

Last edited:
TK,

I thinking the same as others. IO360/180HP.

I'm not sure you need the extra weight and HP.

Working it backwards a little - you said you NEED a C/S prop. Just go with the Hartzell Blended Airfoil. If you go composite you will spend double :eek:

Of course, I nice composite 3 blade would look cool :cool:

The delta between whirlwind and hartzel was nowhere near double on my calculator. YMMV

I did the same dance about 18 months ago and spent a lot of time investigating.

I spent decades in the engine design world for heavy diesel engines and even spent a couple of years at Contintenal , but my head was spinning with the options for this Lyc engine.

$ per HP led me to the 180 hp.
-warranty and total cost, led me to Vans. (financial crash dried up many options at the time)
-Show discount sealed the deal after getting some quotes.
- investigation of efficiency, leads to the Hartzell blended airfoil. I chose composite for reduced weight, knowing what i do now, probably should have saved the money.
-AWI 4 into 1exhaust for future potential of shrinking the exit area. (like DanH, only for a 7)
-IO just cause I wanted it, and did not have to have carb heat. Not a good reason, so for $, carbs are great.

I might go with electronic ignition later, but sticking with mags for now. I will break it in first. Advanced timing pushes more heat into the pistons and this engine does not have cooling jets. (thinking too much again)

I met and talked to some great people, the Barretts' are tops, although I did not go that way. Extremely knowledgable and nice people.

YMMV Happy decision making.