Echo Tango

Well Known Member
It seems I change my mind about which aircraft to build roughly once every 6 months. I started out wanting to build a plane that would do everything. I soon came to the conclusion that a 7A would fit the bill very nicely, and through the time my interest waxed and waned, back and forth over myriad homebuilts and commitments of time, money, and energy. After reviewing everything from a Onex to a Hummelbird to a Harmon rocket, the more I think about my goal, the more I feel like transportation is my main focus. As much fun as a sleek and fast aerobatic plane with inverted fuel, oil, and parachutes that can cruise 250mph on snake oil and make me a cappuccino while massaging my glutes in a 7G Immelman, the more I just want to get down and build a simple Six-Pack, Wooden Prop, Carbureted aircraft that can get me to 95% of the airports in the country cheaply, safely, quickly, and efficiently.

What convinced you guys?

I just want to get down and build a simple Six-Pack, Wooden Prop, Carbureted aircraft that can get me to 95% of the airports in the country cheaply, safely, quickly, and efficiently.

What convinced you guys?

That convinced me. DO IT!

Define your mission. Mine is VFR cross country cruiser. Side by side appeals to me over tandem, so the -9A it is for me.

Short runways, good speed, side-by-side seating, small engine, and it had to be a Van's.

I had once thought of the 7A but I do not need to be upside down. The 9A was the logical cross country plane for me to choose.

Choices

What convinced you guys?

I, too, started out thinking that the -7/7A was for me. I even did the demo flight in their 7A. Then I read, (on this Forum), about building the plane that best suites my style of flying.

I'm not an aerobatic pilot. I, just like you, wanted something that would carry me and my spousal unit anywhere we wanted to go, (especially her mother's house), and do it quickly, efficiently and with some fun added in.

The RV-9 was the perfect choice for us. The one thing that I decided to do that was "out of character" was to build the -9 rather than the -9A. I did this because, IMHO, the tail draggers look a bit sportier than the nose draggers.

I also went with a tip-up canopy for convenience of access to the back of the panel and added steps to the plane to help facilitate getting my old self onto and off of the wings.

simple Six-Pack, Wooden Prop, Carbureted aircraft that can get me to 95% of the airports in the country cheaply, safely, quickly, and efficiently.

You just described my -9 :) Over 5 years and 600hrs, Canada, Bahamas, DC, Philly, Key West........and still lovin every second!

Mission convinced me. Plus a pilot wife (thus the sbs). Plus the speed. Plus the (relatively low) cost. Plus the option to work on it myself and change things around (have gone from 9A to a 9; added big wheels and tires). Unless one wants to do acro or fly tandem, the 9 is arguably the pick of the litter (IMHO).

greg

Mission defined.....

ET....
Yes, you've established some of what you want. If those things change, so might your aircraft?!!!
I like my -9a for how easy it is to fly, even if I'm rusty, it's pretty forgiving.
I'd like bigger tires to land on some of the really nice grass strips, or in a little snow.
With a 180 hp c/s it would really open up some short or high-altitude strips....not to mention a bit more speed or ceiling if needed.
It wouldn't be too crazy to buy, or try a -7 or -8 or -9 before building to see what really lights your fire.

More thoughts...

A friend of mine has built 2 9As. The first was a partnership. If doing it again, he'd prefer a 7A. Why? Because he likes the "liveliness" of my 6A's controls. He does prefer his full Classic Aero interior and two Dynon screens over..........what I have, though.

On the other hand, those thoughts were from two years ago. Perhaps he's changed his mind...

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Thanks for all of the replies, guys. I've been slowly acquiring tools for a couple years now and have enough to at least start the project. Looks like I'll be starting in January, depending on some budget issues at work. Whether I end up going with a cheap and simple 7A versus a cheap and simple 9A, I can see myself being happy with either decision. You guys have given me a lot to think about.

Deep down I feel like I'm more interested in economic cruising, though the itch to get out of work on a sunny day, jump in the plane and do some loops and rolls is a very desirable prospect.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I can't decide on anything! I'm not into aerobatics. I fly in Alaska so, I was thinking that I wanted something like a STOL plane. I was almost dead set on the Zenith CH 750. However, it kind of sucks as a cross country cruiser. My wife does NOT like flying into fields, gravel bars, or anywhere you'd need a STOL plane. Honestly, she really doesn't even like flying. But she'll go if we can go somewhere cool! I sat down and tried to figure out what I'd enjoy the most. A fast, cross-country cruiser is what it is. I try not to be an impulse buyer. If I see something expensive that I want, I wait a while. If I still want it after a certain amount of time, then I'll get it. I've been wanting a 9a for a while now. I figure if I still want it this time next year, I'll order one and get it when I get to Oklahoma.

I looked at the 7 at first too. Definitely a cool airplane. But I don't need to do crazy aerobatics. I just want to fly around and look at stuff. The 9a it is. We are moving to Oklahoma in a little over a year. I plan to start my 9a then. There aren't many good places for a STOL plane in that part of the country anyways. However, my plan is to build the 9a. When I'm done with that, I'll build a CH 750! :D That's the plan I'm trying to get my wife to buy off on.

I called the factory and had a long talk. I believe it was Ken Scott. It really came down to whats your mission? Acro or xcountry?

At the time he said that they all tried to get to fly the 9a to the flyins because it was the best xcountry plane.

Yep

I have around 1,000 hours in RV's except the -3.

I've been cross-country in a -4, -6A, -7A, -9A and my -10. So far, my -10 wins, hands down...the -9 comes next as far as I'm concerned.

That said, however, folks have flown most of them all over the country and around the world, so take your pick.

Best,

Resale

I have a habit of watching airplane ads like a hawk, and appears to me the 9's have less resale value than 7's, 8's. So maybe resale could be a consideration also. You will sell it. Someday, some way.

Note: This is opinion only. YMMV, etc....

I have a habit of watching airplane ads like a hawk, and appears to me the 9's have less resale value than 7's, 8's. So maybe resale could be a consideration also. You will sell it. Someday, some way.

Note: This is opinion only. YMMV, etc....

Part of that may be because of what they stuff into them...
9's sort of seem to have less expensive stuff stuffed into them...
e.g. You don't usually find a 9 with a 430, 530, 330, 3 EFIS's ...

new debate? -7 vs. super -9?

...cost and value wise, -7's typically have a 180hp, although not much more $$$ than the typical 150 Lyc in a -9.
If the 9 is as good, or as some have said, an even better x-country cruiser at 15,000', did Van's make a tiny error by not making it a bit taller, 4 inches wider and longer than the 'sporty' -7?
My shoulders, head and butt would say this may be so.
( okay, we lose the parts commonality, so it would cost more!)