I am making room in my garage for my build. I would like to move the lawn tractor from the garage to the screened-in back porch. It won't fit through the screen door.

I think that I could make hinged door at either end to accomplish this (pics below). My original thought was to do a piano hinge at the top of the currently closed-in end and raise it up and out or something (gas shocks for keeping it open or locking arm like on folding table legs). Maybe adding a couple of diagonal cables to keep it from twisting once it's disconnected from the walls. This is the end of the porch least travelled. But the other end may be simpler and not require near as much hardware if it swings open like a traditional door.

Any input would be appreciated.

porch_end_1.jpg

porch_end_2.jpg

Last edited:
Can't offer advice to your question, I have no practical construction skill. But do you have room for a tool shed in the yard? In the long run might be better than re-purposing that nice patio.

I'd also think about a small pad in a corner of the yard, made with pavers... and a nice cover for the tractor. I put a pad behind our garage in an unused corner of the yard, and it's a great place to put things like the little M/C cargo trailer, mower, wheelbarrow, etc. without taking up patio space.

If that lower section of screen is tall enough for the tractor, you could put it on a piano hinge and just use a simple hook and eye to hold it open - no need to go to a lot of trouble and expense with gas shocks or locking struts. Just lift and hook. You'll want some sort of latch at the bottom to hold it shut so it doesn't flap in the wind.

Ideas Appreciated

Thanks for the ideas!

Unfortunately, the HOA rules don't allow any external building.

As it is currently configured, the mower won't fit under the bar. But I was looking at it this afternoon and thinking I might just move it up, put one just like it with a hinge underneath like you have mentioned.

I later saw there are "garage door" screens that might allow me to pull the whole screen without a door out and use one of those instead.

My folks have a house under construction and I think they may be either getting French doors or extra-wide screen doors.

-Matt