GR8 8

I am trying to figure out how to hoist the RV8 up and out of the way when not in use. Has anyone figured out how to pick up it up without hurting anything? I am considering a fitting on the aft side of the front spar attach fittings.... Anyone have any experience? Thanks.

I looked at the Aero Lift, but I am trying to come up with a much simpler and less intrusive/expensive system . A good $400. winch rated at 1-2 tons will give some margin, but hooking up to the airplane is what I am hoping someone has done before. Cessnas have float rings on top, Cubs have float lift rings too. My RV 8 has exposed bolts on the aft side of the attach fittings. I am thinking of making a fitting to pick up two bolts on each side of the airplane. That would work out to a shear force on each bolt of about 250 Lbs, or essentailly nothing compared to the shear strength of these bolts. It would mean that the briddle or hanging apperatus would have to exit through the open canopy though... I am not thrilled about that.

Not sure how elaborate your willing to get, but how about some sort of welded triangular frame that you can roll the plane on,with pockets or chocks for the wheels. Let the langing gear take the weight. You may need a spreader bar above the plane to hold the rigging. I have had many sets of nylon lift rigging built for 36-42' race boats that weigh 8-12k pounds, and we can lift them from 3 or 4 points. Another idea, if the thread in tie down mounts on the wings are suitable as a jack point, get some of those conical jack points and make a spreader bar that runs fore and aft under each wing that the jack mount can redgister in and trianulate a third point to the tail (assuming its tail heavy when supported in such a manner). While somewhat bulky, the light weight of an RV makes this pretty simple, rigging wise. Alot of lighting, trusses, etc are suspended for the movie industry, concert arenas, etc everyday so the equiptment is there.

I've pondered extending the wing tie-down anchors up to the top skin to provide a hoisting point. Have a cap/plug you could remove, screw in the hoisting ring, and lift away. Other than making dang sure you had good treads, anyone see an issue with this?

Seems like it would be handy for tire changes, etc. I've often looked at the beams in my hangar and thought "Hmmm, got plenty of unused vertical space..." Also, I know of one RV that has slipped off of an Aero-Lift. It think it only took out the wheel fairing, but yikes!

fl-mike said:
I've pondered extending the wing tie-down anchors up to the top skin to provide a hoisting point. Have a cap/plug you could remove, screw in the hoisting ring, and lift away. Other than making dang sure you had good treads, anyone see an issue with this?

Seems like it would be handy for tire changes, etc. I've often looked at the beams in my hangar and thought "Hmmm, got plenty of unused vertical space..." Also, I know of one RV that has slipped off of an Aero-Lift. It think it only took out the wheel fairing, but yikes!

I've only seen the tie down points for the current -8, and I would not lift from them. A very thin wall extrusion. However any one handy with a mill could make a much more substantial replacement very easy. I'll probaly do that with my wings anyways so I have enough meat to install helicoil or a thin wall threaded insert so the tie down rings are not being constantly installed and removed from aluminum threads.