[email protected]

Well Known Member
I just did my first oil change at 22.5 hours on a rebuilt 0320-H2AD. When I opened the filter for inspection I found some very small metal flakes (less then a millimeter) in the folds of the filter. They are magnetic so not aluminum. I also found some grit (that what I will call it), which I seem to be able to crush so I suspect it is carbon. I am using single weigh mineral oil. Should I be panicking or is it normal to make a small amount of metal during break-in.

Metal

Don't freak!
More learned people will chime in later on the specifics. But what you describe doesn't sound so bad
Mark

The questions would mainly be HOW MUCH of the tiny metal flakes are there? if it's an insignificant amount (in other words, you can count them, instead of telling me a 1/4 teaspoon) then I wouldn't worry too much. Just change the oil and keep flying it, check that consumption doesn't do anything weird, and change it again in another 25 to see what it looks like then. The black stuff, is carbon, which is completely normal.

Number of bits (Metal)

I can count them, there might be 35 - 50 or so. not every fold has a piece. No where near a 1/4 tea spoon full. They are magnetic but only slightly and I only checked a few ,some might be aluminum. I am thinking this may be metal from the rings. Oil consumption is good. A little over 1q in 22.5 hours. The case was machined when the T mod was installed before rebuild.????