GAHco

Well Known Member
I have this question every month or so from individuals that need a bit of help to get it just right.

Here is what I suggest when the need of a blind rivet to fit in a 3/32 dimpled skin. This usually happens in a brutal or semi brutal conditions, mostly the far back tail cone area.

Here is my advice (your choice to do it or not)

So you have some significant structure and you want it to hold up while looking good.
I used at least 10 of these Blind Rivets on the back 2 bulkheads and some more on what I call the hips close to where the steps go.

For this situation I recommend a CR3214-4-2 These are countersunk with a smaller head.
We have them in packs of 10 or 100. They are not cheap, but they are very good.

The item # most used for this is CR3214-4-02 PKG/10 These work well for 1/16th and an 1/8th pileup. We also have these in 4-03, and 4-04’s

Prepare the holes by dimpling with the holes to 3/32, clean and de-burr.
Then Cleco on both sides of the hole in question, then drill up to a # 30 drill bit.

Don’t push too hard and cut a clean hole using light pressure.
If it looks clean and no looks material is in the hole, blow a little air to be sure.

There should be as little gaps as possible, on curved areas you may need to put just the right pressure together to get the fit you want.

If you are using a hand pop rivet gun, hold it straight and as still as possible so you won’t shift the material adversely.

NOTE. To get these to really fit nice, hand countersink the already dimpled top skin hole .008 or less, test the fit before pulling

I hope this helps!:cool:

Last edited: