But with iOS5 you could encounter big problems as the iCloud function may delete cached maps in order to make room for "things".

But with iOS5 you could encounter big problems as the iCloud function may delete cached maps in order to make room for "things".

This was supposedly "fixed" with an update just released yesterday.
Check for the latest update.

What are the major changes? Will it by any chance graphically display TFR'S?

George

The biggie I think is the new XM weather overlay capabability. It will require a WxWorx WR-10 portable XM receiver and a Baron Mobile Link for a WiFi link. And an XM weather subscription, of course. If you go to the ForeFlight FAQ page on their web site, it covers the hardware required and costs.

Here's the link: http://www.foreflight.com/support/xm.php

Last edited:
The biggie I think is the new XM weather overlay capabability. It will require a WxWorx WR-10 portable XM receiver and a Baron Mobile Link for a WiFi link. And an XM weather subscription, of course. If you go to the ForeFlight FAQ page on their web site, it covers the hardware required and costs.

Here's the link: http://www.foreflight.com/support/xm.php

I have the update and the weather overlays are awesome. You can use that on the 3g or wifi. I know the XM is required for flight but I have been waiting on them to bring up the mapping to compete with the My-cast by Garmin and they have done well!

The map zoom is now on the same level as Wingx and Garmin. I just waiting on ADS-B connection.

Do you have to have the XM option for the graphically display of the TFR's? The website is not clear on that. Hopefully they will display via WiFi or 3G during flight planning.

George

Both the TFR's and the weather can be overlaid on the map for flight planning while using WiFi. This is great for planning your rout around them.

The new overlay features really are a great move for Foreflight. This was one area where they were really lacking in.

Almost there

I like the upgrade to Foreflight. With regard to Mobile Link and if manufacturers out there are monitoring this:
This is what I would like and I think renters and others who fly more than one plane would like.

1. The Mobile Link Bundle in one all inclusive box to lay on the glare shield. All antennas everything. No wires. It could be big as long as its flat. I suppose several flat"ish" components in a flat"ish" cordura type sleeve that could conform to the glare shield and fold for flight bag storage would be good.
2. Battery or 12v ship power with a simple plug

I was hoping for a portable solution to replace a Garmin 396 but even it is easier to move plane to plane than the current Mobile link would be

Maxwell

Last edited: