celstar

Well Known Member
In regards to value on a RV what would the difference of a RV with 400 hours on a brand new engine and one with 400 on a 1st run overhaul?

Is the TBO the same on a Overhaul as with a new engine?

Things to look for on a 400 hour overhauled 200hp IO 360?

In regards to value on a RV what would the difference of a RV with 400 hours on a brand new engine and one with 400 on a 1st run overhaul?

Is the TBO the same on a Overhaul as with a new engine?

Things to look for on a 400 hour overhauled 200hp IO 360?

The new engine is worth a LOT more.

An overhaul could be out of limits 1 hour after it is run. The tolerance of parts for overhaul are much larger than for NEW.

WHO did the overhaul is important. What NEW parts were used in the overhaul? Was the overhaul to NEW spec or to Overhaul spec? What is the compression? What are the results of the valve "Wobble" test? What is the oil pressure when the engine is running?

There is a good chance that a new engine that has gone 400 hours will go 1,600 more hours with only normal maintenance. An overhauled engine done by a FLY by NIGHT outfit could be ready for another overhaul at 400 hours.

Since I can do my own work on engines, I do not have a problem buying a high time engine and rebuilding it to NEW spec. (field overhaul to new spec with NEW cylinders and all the new parts recommended by Lycoming)

Do your research!

An overhauled engine done by a FLY by NIGHT outfit could be ready for another overhaul at 400 hours.

Or less... I bought an RV7 with a 200hr overhauled IO-360 A1A and at the first oil change (25 hrs) I discovered metal shavings in the oil. This led to a complete teardown for a metal contamination inspection. When the crank was magnafluxed, it revealed a crack. After further research, it turns that prior to the overhaul the parts were inspected by an automotive shop, and the overhaul was done by a homebuilder who failed to safety wire a couple of bolts in the accessory case. Now I get to buy a new engine because my wife has no interest in flying behind an overhauled engine.

Moral of the story, if you are going to buy an overhauled engine, do some seriously thorough research before hand. Obviously I didn't:(

Or less... I bought an RV7 with a 200hr overhauled IO-360 A1A and at the first oil change (25 hrs) I discovered metal shavings in the oil. This led to a complete teardown for a metal contamination inspection. When the crank was magnafluxed, it revealed a crack. After further research, it turns that prior to the overhaul the parts were inspected by an automotive shop, and the overhaul was done by a homebuilder who failed to safety wire a couple of bolts in the accessory case. Now I get to buy a new engine because my wife has no interest in flying behind an overhauled engine.

Moral of the story, if you are going to buy an overhauled engine, do some seriously thorough research before hand. Obviously I didn't:(

Wow! Bill thanks for sharing, it's an eye opener for one of my buddies who is actively looking for a moderately priced 8.

Sorry if this is a thread-jack...but what if the overhaul was done by Lycoming or a Lycoming shop (Mattituck, Penn Yann, etc...)? Is it still worth less than new?

You should school yourself on definitions of "overhaul" versus new or "remanufactured. Legally, an overhaul is merely an engine that is inspected to service limits. On some parts there is a big difference between new limits and service limits. It's possible to measure out a high time engine and reassemble with almost no new parts and still call it an overhaul. This gives you virtually the same engine you had before you started. An "overhaul" in no way guarantees an engine that will give TBO service. Some "new" engines don't make it either but your odds are way better if your parts start out within new tolerance limits.

Logbook entry can be an indicator.

A major overhaul can be as good or as bad as the builder. Here's where the logbook entry can be a dead give-away.
If the entry says something like, "Overhauled this date per Lycoming manual." I would beware. If the entry lists every new part and the particular tolerances met, I would be a lot more comfortable.

celstar, i am going to try and work up a pdf file on this book chapter 7 on overhauls which should be helpful on engine info. i have your email.
img1281n.jpg

You should school yourself on definitions of "overhaul" versus new or "remanufactured. Legally, an overhaul is merely an engine that is inspected to service limits. On some parts there is a big difference between new limits and service limits. It's possible to measure out a high time engine and reassemble with almost no new parts and still call it an overhaul. This gives you virtually the same engine you had before you started. An "overhaul" in no way guarantees an engine that will give TBO service. Some "new" engines don't make it either but your odds are way better if your parts start out within new tolerance limits.

This applies to certified engines but it may help define all the terms for you

http://mattituck.com/articles/ohterms.htm

Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully
helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own
risk."

Ad's etc

...and it almost goes without saying, did they address the ECI cylinder and other AD's and SB's when doing the engine work.
THe accessories can be worth as much, and have a myriad of their own issues, ( vacuum pumps, carbs, mags et al!)