B-Binns

Gentlemen/Women: I have recently joined Van's Airforce site and have really enjoyed reading the many forum threads. By way of introduction, I am a pilot (I renew my CFI certificate every 2 years via the AOPA online renewal program so the certificate remains "current", but I have not actually flown since 2006 . . . way too long.) I want to make flying/aviation a central part of my life again but I Do Not Want to Rent. And a realistic self-appraisal informs me that my life does not support a self-build project . . . even with the many Build Assistance programs available to guide one who chooses to begin that journey through each phase of the build process. I work full-time, and cannot devote the enormous time, mental/emotional expenditure a self-build project would demand. So . . . if I want to fly an RV I have to buy one. I have no problem with that. Since starting to seriously learn/research the various Experimental aircraft on the market, my attention quickly narrowed to the RV6-7 / Lancair Legacy. Either one is a spectacular aircraft. Like all of you, I am Blown Away by the Bang-for-Buck comparison to the standard certified fleet: C172s, 182s; Cirrus SR20-22s, etc. My search through aircraft-for-sale sites, and here at Van's AF, indicates that the ballpark Price-range for RV 6/7's goes from about 45K for very basic VFR only - - to maybe 130K for a Solid Glass Full IFR, Oshkosh Trophy Competitor. Also, I've read all of "Ask the DAR" series of articles by Mel Asberry in Kitplane Magazine which I recently subscribed to (they're are great by the way) to gain an understanding of the regulatory lay of the land when it comes to building-buying-modifying Experimental/Amateur Built aircraft. I basically understand the 51% (major portion rule), but I still am not clear on the legally allowable extent one can purchase a successfully completed and certified experimental aircraft (Ex. RV6-7 series) and thereafter modify it to fit the Buyer?s specific needs following the purchase. Basically, here is my thinking . . . if I'm gonna lay out the pretty big bucks, I want to get exactly what I want to fly. What I want is an RV6-7A that is full Glass IFR (think Rob Hickman of Advanced Flight Systems' RV-10 Panel, you can check it out on Youtube), IO-360 Engine (180-200HP) with inverted fuel system, leather interior and exterior paint to my specifications. I know that is a pretty rich grocery list, but when you compare it to a new or even 5 year old C172 (2005: 150K - New 300K!), the final cost of a state-of-the-art Aerobatic / IFR RV pales in comparison.
So, here is my question: if I do not find exactly what I want on the market, is it legal for a Buyer to purchase a fully complete, pre-owned, pre-flown RV aircraft on the market and then send it out to specific shops for major modifications and/or replacement of Engine, Panel, Interior, Exterior (possible examples would be: replacing high time 160HP Engine with a new 200HP Engine with addition of inverted fuel system; replacing Steam Gauges with totally new Glass Panel; replacing cloth interior with leather, etc.) Basically the idea is to Buy - Extensively Modify - then Legally Fly. I know I've got much to learn on this road and I thank you again for your patience in reading my long initial post. All answers will be appreciated.

Short Answer

Yes it is :D

You will just have to comply with the major mods section of your operating limitations for new phase 2 testing.

In A Word.....

YES! The owner of an experimental amateur-built aircraft may do any modifications desired.
Carefully read the operating limitations as wording has changed over the years. There are different requirements depending on when the aircraft was built. Aircraft build within the last 10 years are typically easier to accomplish these tasks, but they may be done on any of them.

If you would like to discuss at length, please feel free to give me a call before 9pm central daylight time.
972-784-7544

Basically, here is my thinking . . . if I'm gonna lay out the pretty big bucks, I want to get exactly what I want to fly. What I want is an RV6-7A that is full Glass IFR (think Rob Hickman of Advanced Flight Systems' RV-10 Panel, you can check it out on Youtube), IO-360 Engine (180-200HP) with inverted fuel system, leather interior and exterior paint to my specifications.

Keep your plane light!! The last thing you want is a two-place Mooney. ;)

My Experience

I purchased an RV-10 and installed a cargo pod of my own design. My operating limitations said that I must notify the FSDO of any major alterations. The FSDO gave me no problems. After reviewing some information about the installation, they told me to do a 5 hour fly-off (minimum for major alterations) and make a logbook endorsement. You shouldn't have any troubles configuring your airplane for your needs.

Thanks Very Much!

Got the answer I needed - Thanks guys. Mel, I appreciate the offer to speak more in-depth. I'm going to do some more reading - get my thoughts together, then I'll give you a call. Thanks again.

Not much time to work?

I think the basic thing is you haven't flown in 4 years or so and and you are looking for a instant change to full flush flying glamour change. That's OK and but I think you should give more thought to the ability to build your own airplane exactly the way you want it. You obviously have the money so maybe you should consider buying or renting a production plane to get current in and stay that way as you build.

We all have only 24 hours in a day so you situation is not unique. When I started my RV-6A I was 60 years old working at the Jet propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena and living in Laguna Hills in Orange county. My commute time each day was ~4 hours. Beside the minimum 8.5 hour day at work, I often had to make management review trips to Denver or Boulder and several other irregular locations, or go into work at night for command sessions when the spacecraft was visible to the deep space network sites in Spain or Australia. I still found time to work on the airplane and complete it over 8 years time. That time is golden. I have been flying the plane for 6 years now and it is a joy. I continue to modify it for speed and every small incremental gain is both a reward and a motivator. If you seriously want to give deeper emersion into your aviation life I recommend you consider doing what you don't want to do - build it yourself.

Bob Axsom