attackpilot

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to look at the RV Maintenance Tool Kit offered by PlaneTools.com (see advertisers on on the home page)?

I am going to be buying a used homebuilt soon and do not plan on doing any major maintence on it; but I would like to be able to change the oil, spark plugs, hoses as necessary, minor airframe work, etc. and would like to know what everyone thinks of their setup.

Thanks

I looked at it. Not too many tools in that I don't already have. Even non-homebuilders usually have a lot of that stuff for doing work around the house, lawn mower repair, auto maintenance, etc. Not worth another $1300.

The type of work a non-builder could do would only require basic automotive tools. Most other items, like a mag timer (buz box), cylinder leak tester aren't real expensive and can be borrowed. For most bolting, a 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", or 3/4" wrench and/or socket will do, #2 and 3 philips bits and some pliers and safety wire gear will get you through most tasks allowed without being certificated to do AC work.

I would get a basic wrench and socket tool kit from Sears for about a 150 bucks that includes the above, buy a buz box and cylinder leak tester, about another 150, and purchase some wing jacks, about 400. This will do way more for you for a lot less and you can slowly add other items as you may want or need them.

Hope this helps.

Roberta

attackpilot said:
I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to look at the RV Maintenance Tool Kit offered by PlaneTools.com (see advertisers on on the home page)?I am going to be buying a used homebuilt soon and do not plan on doing any major maintence on it; but I would like to be able to change the oil, spark plugs, hoses as necessary, minor airframe work, etc. and would like to know what everyone thinks of their setup.Thanks
In your situation, I'd be inclined to purchase specialized tools as required. Things would be different if you were going to start building with no idea of what you are going to need. To maintain almost any aircraft, I recently purchased what I consider to be a good value from ATS and you may want to research. http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/main.htm For $250 you get a magneto buzz box, a timing indicator, a cable tester, and a cylinder pressure tester with master orfice all packaged in a tool box. In any event, since you really don't know what sheet metal work you may eventually want to do, I'd forgo the "one size fits all" approach and as previously stated, just purchase tools as required.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the reply. I was leaning toward just getting some good wrenches and safety wire pliers and then buying things as they are needed. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't passing up a good deal.

I do most of the maintenance on my skyhawk now (with an A/P's guidance) and don't find that you need too much more than a good set of wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, pliers, and safety wire pliers. Of course, there are lots of other tools that you can buy to make little things easier (one can never have too many tools if you ask me :D )

For a timing box, check this out:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=3619

I buy mostly craftsman stuff - good price, good guarantee, store nearby.

Thomas
-8 wings