dnimigon

Hi Guys.
Could you have a look at these pics (link attached) and let me know your thoughts. I had some damage on the spars in shipping and have talked to Van's since day one regarding this. The damages weren't noticed till I got home and I notified the trucking company right away that there may be damages. Van's has been good and Gus say's that engineering thinks that the best solution would be to have them replaced although they said I could use them so basically it's up to me. From whewre I sit looking at the spars I feel they aren't that bad but I;m no expert. The issue I have is that the insurance claim will be a nightmare as I didn't notify or see it when I picked it up. It was -20 C and we shoved the crates in my truck. I tied them down and away I went. Noticed the damage when I got home.The damage was the end of the long crate the spars come in. A pallet fork had gone through and caused the damage. Who knows when it was done or by who. Have a look at the pics and see what you think. I've included part of the letter I sent to Van's.
Here is the link to the pics
http://img222.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=1003666.jpg

Please find attached some photos regarding the wing kit I just received and the damages I have found. I?ll try and explain it all here.

I received the shipment and it was loaded into my pickup. I didn?t notice at the time but when I got home I noticed that the end of the long crate had been damaged I assume from a pallet fort. I couldn?t see any damage from looking in the end but phoned the trucking company where I picked up to let them know. I said I would let them know if I had found any damages.
Upon opening the crate I found that the main spar (91447 L) had damage and (91447 FWD) also had some minor damage. The pics shows the main (91447 L) had the metal bent up. It seems that when whoever loaded or unloaded it in transit they shoved the fork into the crate to push on it or something. What this did was bend the metal up and scrape it. The rivet next to the bend seems as if it could be loose. I realize that this unit will be bolted together and that will bring it all back into shape and I have a press that I could reset the rivet again. The scrape I assume can be recoated with primer. I wanted you to see this and tell me if this is okay to use. I realize the shipping of a new one up here to Alberta would be expensive and time consuming plus the return of this one.
The (91447 FWD) has a slice in it along the flange although it?s hard to see in the pic but it?s basically cut into where the platenut rivets on. It only cut one side where a rivet would go. I believe I could use a backing plate for this platenut if that would be okay. I don?t believe it would interfere with anything. You?ll have to direct me on this one also.
Also when the spars where pushed in from the end of the crate the hardware bags got kind of mushed and torn. I?ve sent a few pics regarding this and the containers on my counter are the loose items that were strewn about the crate. I?ve manged to inventory pretty well all of the items and match them up although I?m missing a few that I can?t seem to find. They may have fell out of the crate in transit. They are listed below. A couple of other small items I believe I can find here at the local aircraft parts store.

New Spar

My opinion: Get a new spar. If you ever want to sell this plane in the future you will need to tell this damaged spar story. It sounds so much better when the end of the story is "I could have used it, but I went ahead and got a brand new undamaged spar."

Hans

Before you even consider using the spar send the pictures to Van's engineering staff (Ken Kruger or Ryan Johnson) and have them look at the damage.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988

Definitely a new spar. If Vans will replace there is no reason not to. Your peace of mind and safety are paramount.

Absolutely, get a new spar. If Van's wants the old one returned to repair and reship then it's on them.

New spar - not even close to considering that one...

The shipping company should eat the transport and replacement costs, or at least deal with Vans directly between them to resolve it. You can keep the undamaged spar and begin work on that wing while waiting for a replacement.

Great reply's

Thanks guys. I had a gut feeling that this is what I was going to do, I just needed the extra push. I don't know why I should be worried about trying to save someone some money. Darn trucking companies.

Insurance claims w/UPS

Hi, If you insure w/UPS they use a contractor that WILL NOT pay for shipping damage. They will say it wasn't boxed/packaged correctly. Ask me how I know. There Ins. contractor sent there correspondence in a hand written envelope and no company letter head on the inside paper. Obviously a jippo outfit, and UPS is of the hook, you deal with the contract Ins company. Thats why I am shipping my SB wing kit w/Patains, live and learn. If anyone doubts this google UPS insurance claims, One customer had a wood crate punctured with a fork lift and it was deemed not packaged correctly,no claim payment, big national company to, $14,000 instrument ruined. Gene

Partain - the way to go

Because airplanes is all that they do!!! I doubt if any forklift (except maybe one at Van's) ever gets near your parts. The drivers all know about airplanes and how to handle airplane or parts.

Mike, who delivered my three RV-12 sub-kits a week ago, was delivering a yellow Piper Cub to the Air Force Academy, several partial kits, one or two airplanes being delivered to their new owners and at least one quick build. And Partain picks up your order from Van's - no hastle.

Partain will deliver you your spars and it won't cost an arm and a leg. As you can see, I am an extremely happy customer. Highly recommend: Partain Transportation - it's a no brainer.:)