chrishalfman

I am fitting the main gear pants on my 7A and was wondering if anyone had used screws/nut plates on the U-808 bracket (the bracket [flat strip bent kinda like a ?V? with flats for the pant connection] from the axle nut to the wheel pant) instead of the rivets? I?m sure the rivets look nicer cosmetically, but wouldn?t the screws allow the pant to be removed somewhat easier than getting in on the bolt that goes into the axle nut? Plus, getting in there to safety the bracket cap screw in the nut to the axle cotter key would be a lot easier. Or, is there a good reason not use screws and nut plates on the pant? The inside bracket uses screws and nut plates. Or, is it really not that bad and I'm just whiny. :D

I just did mine last week, it was not that bad doing it to the plans. A ratchet speed wrench will work well to get the bolt off the axle nut.

u808 to wheel pant

Your choice. comes down to how many screws you want visible on the outside of your wheel pants,
I've have done them both ways.

Putting the aft wheel pant on and off with a normal wrench is a real pain. I went down to Harbor Freight and picked up a set of SAE racheting wrenches. Problem solved for less than $10!

The material of the wheel pant is thick enough to countersink for the rivets, but not thick enough to countersink for screws. I put a little bit of the West G/flex epoxy under the brackets before riveting for some extra strength.

Putting the aft wheel pant on and off with a normal wrench is a real pain. I went down to Harbor Freight and picked up a set of SAE racheting wrenches. Problem solved for less than $10!

The material of the wheel pant is thick enough to countersink for the rivets, but not thick enough to countersink for screws. I put a little bit of the West G/flex epoxy under the brackets before riveting for some extra strength.

I also use the G Flex, great stuff, used it on all the tips and pants