lewy

Well Known Member
Page 35-02 Trying to figure out if the valve stem washer and nut goes back on the tube after assembly, it says to take them off but no mention of putting them back. Do you have to put the nut and washer on at all, been a long time since I have put a tube in a tire? Thanks, Don Lewis Jackson, Ohio

Tube assembly - Matco Wheel

For the main wheels See Figure 5 Valve Stem Alignment of the instruction manual that came with your wheels ;). Also here on the Matco website.

Then for the nose wheel which is a little different use this drawing, also on the Matco website, but not in the instruction manual.

On the main wheels the tube is clamped to the wheel by the nut and shoulder washer. On the nose wheel the nut and shoulder washer ride in a slot in the wheel.

Tony

Matco's way does not work. There are not enough threads on the tube valve. Van's said just put the special tube washer on the inside of the wheel and that's it. That's all there is room for.

i have never.......

used any nut or washer. just put the valve stem thru the wheel and get it straight. of course the valve stem cap at the end. presto!!!!!
this was for a 6, not a 12.

Tire Washer

I was able to put the washer on as MATCO described, but I had to turn it down on my lathe to reduce the thickness by 1/2 to get the stem thread engagement.

Mine seems to work just like Tony showed in the nosewheel diagram from Matco. Strange that the Matco data that came with the wheels and tubes don't show that, only on the web site. I think I will use the nut and washer like Matco says to do. The nut does not seem to do anything really except sort of center the valve stem in the hole in the wheel.

Matco's way does not work. There are not enough threads on the tube valve. Van's said just put the special tube washer on the inside of the wheel and that's it. That's all there is room for.

For the main wheels See Figure 5 Valve Stem Alignment of the instruction manual that came with your wheels ;). Also here on the Matco website.

Then for the nose wheel which is a little different use this drawing, also on the Matco website, but not in the instruction manual.

On the main wheels the tube is clamped to the wheel by the nut and shoulder washer. On the nose wheel the nut and shoulder washer ride in a slot in the wheel.

Tony

I was able to install the nose wheel as per the above instructions. My concern is the main wheel tube hole is offset and tube must be rolling over the edge of the hole rim with a lot of pressure as it inflates the tyre. Is this a concern for anyone else?

Julian 120316