scberry

I am trying to install the main gear legs into the fuselage. I have not been able to get the U-1220 gear leg to slide into outboard main gear attach bracket and the wear plate. The fuselage side skin prevents the U-1220 from rotating so it will slide into the bracket. I have installed the inboard and out board brackets IAW the plans. Any suggestions. Anybody else had this problem?

I had the same problem. Instead of using the prescribed machine screws I opted for longer thinner ones to get all the pieces lined up and in place. When in place I then replace the bolts washers and nuts with the specified ones, one at a time. Be sure to place the outboard ones from the bottom up.

I found interference between both U-1202's and a couple of manufactured ends of LP-3 rivets. I had to chop off the ends and it looks like I'll be able to reset one of the two holes left on either side.

I can't find where the plans indicate the rivet I should be using...aircraft was purchased partially built.

Your right. I misspoke. I meant to say the shop head is interfering with the U-1202's.

Do I need to countersink the hole or do the manufactured heads on both sides give me enough clearance to maneuver the U=1202's into position?

Your notes are great. While the new format for drawings is really good, some descriptions and drawings need more help. Also it would be nice when a revision is issued to list the changes on the drawings.

Sorry, Martin, I don't have access to the plans right now. Are the U-1202s the main gear legs? If so, many of us had this interference problem. It should be exactly ONE LP4-3 rivet that makes it impossible to get the outboard plate in place (on each side). I think most of us have drilled out the offending rivet, installed the plate and then set a fresh rivet in the open hole.
As you're new to building (you said you had bought the kit partially built, so I am assuming here), "drilling out" the rivet in this case means drilling off the head of the rivet and the pushing the stem out by using a punch and a hammer or a center punch. That way you don't enlarge the hole.
I have some picture of the problem in this post. Scroll down almost to the end of the post, that's where the tunnel photos are.

Last edited: