OneCharlieKilo

Well Known Member
Trying to get my gear legs installed but can't get the brake mount flanges to slide over the axle. Have used emory cloth to sand inside of flanges and also used the emory cloth to try and sand the non-threaded part of the main axles but not quite there yet and worked quite a while on the first one.
Wheel doesn't slide on either, so look to me like the axle is just slightly too big around.

This is an older slow build 6A (been working slowly for 10 years). Anybody had a similar problem? Should I just be greasing the axle up and using wood/hammer combo to force it on?

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Chris Hand
RV-6A #23559
N731CK (reserved)

Chris I had ths same problem on my 7 gear. I had to polish the gear leg quite a while. I think you will find thet the axle is slightly out of round and the fit tighter at some places. This is a result of the heat treat process probably. I used one of the wheel bearings as a test fit part and emory clothed away until I could get it on (snug fit desired) just taking off the high spots as best I could. Probably took 30 minutes per axle, don't remember exactly. When done lube the axle with LP3 or similar to prevent rust. Now, my wheels slip on with a little banging with my fist, have to use a rubber mallet to remove them. Another thread on this subject exists somewhere on this site.

Larry