rjcthree

Well Known Member
I've been mounting my main gear pants over break (9A). First went well, once I devised a system of marking the pants with decent axis for measurement. Something was tickling my brain about that, something was fuzzy.

Mount left. Easy. "L" for my 9A is 42" exactly, for reference.

Go to mount right. Cannot get it to match with the fit of the left. The outside bracket is either too far back (0-1/16" per plans, actual ~3/8") or the inside is goofed (tech term). Go back, remeasure axis. Good. Get out the laser leveler. Good. Put Rt rear on ground standing up. Laser makes the issue obvious(duh).

The cut and the lip edge are not perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the rear half of the pant, looking down. It's off by 3-4 degrees. It's what was bothering me visually. BOTH pants are off in the SAME DIRECTION. Measuring tape from back edge forward backs this up.

Result is they will not line up in similar reference positions left and right(gear legs, brackets) when viewed from above. Essentially, it's a 'split the difference' scenario.

I've decided it's too much work to try to true that. I'm securing them making sure they are within 1/8 fore and aft, true to flight direction, :(and building on. Just consider it another gift from M&W FG.

To confuse things, with the weight off, my right gear hangs about 2 degrees lower than the left, which affect pant fit and looks weird, buy seems to sort itself out with weight on.

Rick 90432