grover

Well Known Member
have installed the main gear fairings, and now have some ball displacement on the T&B. is this an adjust-fly-repeat fix, or is there something a little more empirical that can minimize the number of attempts?

Did you use the string method....

......to check the alignment, James? Van says to wrap a long piece of string around the leading edge of the fairing and pull it tight, back toward the rear of the airplane and parallel to the airplane's centerline. You should have the same amount of fairing from the trailing edge to both strings....make sense?

Regards,

yes

we did the string thing for initial fitting- - probably is good idea to double check it. maybe even with weight on wheels to make sure they are still at least in the ballpark.

hmmmm...you don't have much choice on an -8

The RV's with round gear legs need to do the string alignment for sure. But I recently installed the fairings on my -8, and there was really only one way the fairing fits on the flat gear strut. Its not like you could tweak it or adjust it if it was misaligned....Maybe shim the gear strut with several layers of tape or something at opposite corners.

I guess I'll see when I fly in a couple of months.

The RV's with round gear legs need to do the string alignment for sure. But I recently installed the fairings on my -8, and there was really only one way the fairing fits on the flat gear strut. Its not like you could tweak it or adjust it if it was misaligned....Maybe shim the gear strut with several layers of tape or something at opposite corners.

In my opinion, you are correct Steve - there is very little that you can do about changing the alignment of the fairing with the flat gear - and it turned out just great for me!

Paul