Cth6

Well Known Member
Looking for a suggestion on the easiest/cheapest way to ship small parts (<1lb) from US to Canada. I was thinking USPS but wanted to see if there are lessons learned from this group. Shipping an engine gauge to Newfoundland.

Looking for a suggestion on the easiest/cheapest way to ship small parts (<1lb) from US to Canada. I was thinking USPS but wanted to see if there are lessons learned from this group. Shipping an engine gauge to Newfoundland.
Generally speaking, USPS is the cheapest way to ship and so far there hasn't been any brokerage fees. But, I did have some baffle material from Vans mailed to me here in Red Deer Alberta via USPS expedited and that was $70.00 US and took 16 days. My experience to use one of the couriers is that it will be quicker but certainly more expensive and then there will be the brokerage fees as well. Oh, and UPS is the worst.

Anyway you look at it, shipping prices are ridiculous.

USPS is by far the cheapest, as mentioned at most a $10 brokerage fee from Canada Post if it is of high value. If under a $100 it generally arrives without any additional fees or taxes.
Fedex and UPS fees can easily be more than the value of the shipment.

I agree that shipping USPS is generally the least expensive option ultimately, even though the initial shipping rate may appear similar, or even higher, than a courier. I recently purchased a $15 package of a few CherryMax rivets from the US that ultimately cost over $200 when all shipping costs were factored in. And I only used 2 of them!