kcameron

Well Known Member
Hi Gang,

I changed my oil recently and took a sample to send to Aircraft Oil Analysis. The sample kit includes a
small round plastic container which is placed directly into the mailbox with appropriate postage. I realized
that the postal rate changed recently and also that there's a new rule requiring extra postage for unusually
shaped packages. I called AOA but they didn't know what the new postage requirement is. Per their
suggestion, I went to the post office. The lady there gave me an incredulous look. She basically didn't
believe that such an object was mail-able. When I told here that thousands of these have been mailed,
she went and checked with someone and came back with the answer that "we can't take it because the
oil is flammable". Urgh.

Another lady in line suggested that I just throw it into a box. I hesitate to do it since it would add dollars
to the postage and I'll be stuck again next time I change the oil.

So: Has anyone here solved the mystery of how much postage is required now?

Send it

I send mine in to AOA every oil change. never had a problem...Three stamps is what is required... Just drop in in the mail box...

Print this out and take it your post office (may not apply if you aren't using Blackstone, but it will give some comments to feed the teller):

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/postal_letter.html

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif][size=-1]The product being sent in our oil sample container is new or used lubricating oil. It is not hazardous, flammable, or toxic. The average flashpoint of used engine oil is 380?F. Used transmission fluid or lube oil has an average flashpoint of 340?F. The minimum flashpoint for all oils we receive is 250?F. The postal regulations for Hazardous Material (DMM 601.10.6) indicate that:[/size][/font]​

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif][size=-1]"For air or surface transportation without restriction, if the flashpoint is above 200?F (93?C). Mailable combustible liquids must be properly and securely packaged to prevent leakage." [/size][/font]​

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif][size=-1]Our oil analysis kit consists of two HDPE plastic bottles, both with lined screw-on caps to prevent leakage. The white inner bottle (capacity: 120cc) should be placed in the plastic zip-lock bag. This bag not only prevents leakage by the inner bottle, but it also serves as packing material to prevent the inner bottle from being jarred during shipping. Should both the inner bottle and plastic bag leak, the outer bottle will contain any excess oil. The oil must be packaged exactly as we have specified to meet USPS regulations.[/size][/font]​

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif][size=-1]In the unlikely event that oil should actually spill from the black mailer, the clean-up procedure (as specified by MSDE Safety sheets for virgin and used oil) is to simply contain the spill and wash contaminated areas with soap and water.[/size][/font]​

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif][size=-1]This letter and the accompanying packaging have been approved by the United States Postal Service. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif][size=-1]If you have any questions about the samples being sent to our laboratory, please contact Patty Buell, USPS Manager of Customer Services, at 260/427-7316. You may also contact Blackstone Laboratories at 260/744-2380.[/size][/font]​

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif][size=-1]Sincerely,[/size][/font]​

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif][size=-1]Kristin Huff

Vice President
Blackstone Laboratories
[/size][/font]

I used Aviation Laboratories Inc kit purchased from Vans. The small box the kit comes in is the same one you use to mail your sample to the lab....and they give you an address label to stick on that has "postage paid!" I think the kit is about $15. They send a letter of analysis in about 2 weeks.

Chuck Olsen
RV-7A

Using Blackstone

The USPS won't let you "just throw it in the box" but want to see you in person for some reason. :confused:
This happened to my first sample - it was put back in my PO Box since I dropped it in the box correctly postaged by their self serve machine. When I walked it in they took it with no issue. :rolleyes:

I drop my Blackstone sample in the box after using the self serve postage every time - no problems (knocking on wood :) )

T.