LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I lost my medical at the end of May when the renewal got sent down to Oklahoma City for review as usual and the best and the brightest politicians in the world thought the sequester was a fabulous idea. Two months in, still haven't heard a peep.

That ruined the notion of flying my plane to Oshkosh for the first time; the dream was to fly there and back a few times that week with various family members who helped in the long build.

It was just as well, perhaps. Some lingering "fuzziness" in the head made flying out of the question in any configuration. but then almost two weeks ago, it cleared up and I'm hoping it goes back to wherever Meniere's Disease goes before reappearing every five weeks or so.

I got a couple of sweet offers for help. Michael Stromberg, an Oshkosh man, i believe, offered to fly over and act as PIC to allow me to fly in. And offered to even fly back with me. (btw, Michael is doing the 12-1 EAA Radio show this year and you should listen).

But my KSGS pal, Brad Benson, has his plane in the shop up north for painting and because of a problem, he was going to miss flying into Oshkosh too. He offered to be the PIC in my plane. The thing is: I'm pretty sure his plane WILL be done in time for Oshkosh and although I gave him the out, he seems determined beyond all logic to help *me* achieve this dream.

So we're going to fly over (hopefully) on Thursday through Sunday. When i get there, I'm hoping NOT to see the FAA medical certification team at the FAA pavilion (I presume it'll be closed; it should be, anyway), because they have some work they should be doing at home.

Pretty good eggs all.

Bob,

All this sounds like an old Clint Eastwood movie--"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." Really glad you are going to get to fly in, and hope to see you there. Would love to see that airplane we have all watched from afar for all these many years. You are the poster-boy for perseverance, my friend. Another milestone along a bumpy road.

Bob

We want pics

When you land and EAA gives you the little first time flying in kit. I want a picture posted of the EAA mug full of beer, and you holding your perseverance award ribbon they hand out if if you flew you homebuilt in for the first time. Cant think of anyone more deserving or should be prouder of that moment!

Seeing you with that ribbon would be an awesome pic indeed. Good luck hope stars align and wx coops. Blue skies.:D

Last edited:
Bob,

All this sounds like an old Clint Eastwood movie--"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." Really glad you are going to get to fly in, and hope to see you there. Would love to see that airplane we have all watched from afar for all these many years. You are the poster-boy for perseverance, my friend. Another milestone along a bumpy road.
Bob

I'll be in HBC. I hope folks will stop by and put some fingerprints on her. She's not much to look at, but she's got character.

This is such great news, Bob. Marmy and I are looking forward to seeing you and your completed project at the show. We will be parking the -9A in HBP and camping in Scholler starting on Sunday.

Try your Congressman ...

Bob, I know it's hard to believe but sometimes it's amazing what just a call from your Congressman's office or State Senator's office can get done. Call them and explain the issue, they will probably give you a clerk in their office who will ask for a copy of what you sent. Generally, they(someone in the office) will make a call because that is what they think keeps getting them elected.

Our local experience once now is that after a 3-4 month wait, it took less than a week to get it mailed back once they got a call from the State Senators office. That's not really special treatment....that is just our political system in todays environment.

Might not work for you but easy to try!

Bill

Good news

Hope to see you there. If the FAA medical folks are there you might have them check up on your paper work. I did that last year, the doc pulled up all my paper work, looked it over and approved it on the spot. Paper work was in the mail the next week. Good luck.

Look up!

Bob:

You've done something few dream of, much less accomplish, and lots of folks who know that challenge are impressed. That's worth quite a bit in my book.

As for the examiners, they, too are stuck in a situation not of their making, and no Federal employee likes the personal and professional consequences.
(deep breath, promise yourself you won't rant.
better now.)

Give 'em a break, work the system as has been suggested, and keep a positive attitude.

Ruh roh. A notice in the mailbox says there's a certified letter from the FAA awaiting me at the Post Office.

This isn't going to be good.

Sure which my doctor hadn't decided to send ALL of his clinical notes on me to the AME when all that was requested was a letter explaining why I was on a diuretic. Oh well.