Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I just bought a Garmin 396 with all the accessories from a poster on VAF. After reading the manual, it appears I have to use the special XM antenna to get the XM weather broadcasts. This antenna has to be mounted on the glare shield to get good reception, but it has magnets in it! What were they thinking? Is there a way to remove these magnets and still have the antenna work?

Yes, there is a way, most (if not all) have done it in the past. It's been nearly six years since I removed mine so I don't remember exactly how, but it was easy.

Be careful.

That round thingy IS the XM receiver, not the antenna. The cable feeds the XM weather info to your 396/496, so be careful. I have one on both the Air Tractor and my -10 with no issues...didn't know they had magnets...then again, I have a Dynon 100 EFIS.

Best,

I am aware of magnets in the remote GPS antenna but I did not know there were any in the XM antenna. Will have to check mine.

I have removed the magnets from two different GPS antennas. It is easy peasy...

No magnet in newer Garmin XM antennas

I had a 396 and the XM receiver had the silly magnet. I now have a 496 and they no longer have magnets in the XM receiver/antenna.